Puffed up Glo-Danio???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
my son has a 10 gal with a couple Guppies and a couple Danios.

One Danio is puffed up, not normal looking the whole body is puffed, looks like the scales are ruffled too.. Seems to be swimming fine and all other fish look good..

What has happened to this one?

I will try to get a picture, but just saw this when I put my son to bed, so I cannot get a pic until tomorrow

I have several fish like this. They dont start out that way when you get them at the store but when you bring them home and let them grow they do. My brother has 2 of these guys from petco that he is leaving uncheck and i am getting the tank tommorrow and i am gonna probably have to put them down as now there skulls have expanded out and they seem fine but they are far from it. It is called dropsy.

Below is the discussion i had about dropsy (which it was a fish from petco) i had and how to cure it. Read over it and ask questions.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/maracyn-for-dropsy-128960.html

EDIT: darn you logansmomma, lol.

looks to be not a contagious disease like ick..

Wife said fish has been that way for 3 days.. guess once it dies I just replace it?

been in his tank for over a year

Well if it is bacterial chances are you would have to treat the whole tank. If I was you I would QT the sick fish and treat the rest of the tank anyways, just to be safe.

I don't have a tank to QT the fish. what can I get a a big box store (petco/petsmart) to treat the tank?

what can I get a a big box store (petco/petsmart) to treat the tank?
:confused::confused::confused::confused: do you mean get a box from the store? you could probably get a 5 or 10 gallon bucket and hook up a filter and pump maybe, but i am not sure what you would need to do exactly to keep the fish alive in there. maybe someone else can help you with this one. If not I know walmart up here has 5 gallon tank kits for 30$. Comes with everything you need except the air pump and air stone. You could set one of those up, fill it up add your dechlor and then take your filter media from your 10 and put it in the filter on the 5 to seed the tank so that it cycles quickly and doesnt kill your fish. hope that makes sense lol

no sorry.. what medicine to treat the fish.. if I decide to set-up a Qt tank I know where to buy one..

Oh ok lol. I think Etunes' post up there has some info on that, and the link I gave you probably has some info on how to treat it. I am sure petsmart or petco will have what you need.

Well you always will run into something new and have to deal with it. Like i said you need to read that thread, it is only 2 pages. As you see it says the medicine and you dont want to medicate the whole tank as this is something becoming resistant to certain drugs so you want to completely wipe it out and not make it resistant to any more medicines. So you want to QT it if you med it. It depends on how far along is it. Does it have a buldging stomach and thats it or is it so bad it had distorted it bones and everything. With a danio or 2 it dosent take much to QT it. Again i suggest reading that thread.

So, sorry to jack this for a minute, but it's not always better to treat the whole tank? Hmm... looks like I have some more reading to do!

Etunes, read your link.. what is BBA? hard to read when there are TLAs I don't know

as for how it looks, I have not found a picture that looks like this fish looks..

getting late here and I will read more tomorrow when the eyes allow it :)

That is reffering to the concerns i was voicing if i could trat him in the tank with Black Bearded Algae (BBA) in it.

couple pics:

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

Mine looks the same way, it has dropsy i would suggest the treatment i am going that is shown in that thread.

Back
Top Bottom