Puffer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of starting a new 5 gal tank with a dwarf puffer and some friends. Any suggestions on tankmates or plants???

Puffers are really aggresive, and im pretty sure that applies to the dwarf puffers as well.
I think your best bet is to have a species only 5gal tank of puffers. And since puffers are so cute, it won't matter that its species only =o)

I thought that puffers were aggressive towards each other and they must be kept separately. That's why I was wondering what other 'friends' I could keep with the puffer.

I have a five gal planted dwarf puffer tank. I started with three all about the same size, and with in a week you could see one was getting larger. He, the one larger one, was very aggressive and would not alow the others to eat. The other two ended up dying because he would just attack them. I could only get mine to eat live food. He would kill all of the snails then swim back and forth from kill to kill chasing off any one who got any where near them.

The other two how ever did not seem to bug each other. Maybe they were fine together or maybe it was because they had to live with Bruise and did not have time for one another. I know mine would not make a good tank mate. They all have different temperaments.

I have a couple of dwarf puffers in a planted tank with a bristlenose pleco and they all get along fine. That being said, I wouldn't keep any other "friends" with puffers.

adamatic said:
I thought that puffers were aggressive towards each other and they must be kept separately. That's why I was wondering what other 'friends' I could keep with the puffer.

They are somewhat aggressive towards each other... but more aggressive towards other fish. Some puffers are species only where you can keep several of them in one tank with no other types of fish, while others are supposed to be kept by themselves

Other than a pleco of sorts, there are no other kinds of fish you can/should put in there with puffers

i had 2 puffer and i got up one morning and they both were dead.
my dad said about 10 mins ago they were attacking each other

if you want to get multiple fish, that 5 is the perfect number. it keeps one from being able to claim dominance. I think that a five gal planted tank is a great plan.

Back
Top Bottom