Puffer fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Only200

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a puffer fish either a figure eight or green spoted. Tried to feed it snails but it doesn't show interest in them but likes blood worms and it spends most its time swimming up and down the corner of the tank should I worry and if it isn't a figure eight what are the differences between the two and please excuse the glass bottom just got the tank used for free (75gal) and I havnt made it out to get sand yet

Attachments

• image-154787271.jpg
    image-154787271.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1439032361.jpg
    image-1439032361.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 65
You have a green spotted puffer. Read about them here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/green-spotted-puffer-profile-174144.html

Your puffer is swimming up and down the glass since there seems to be nothing in the tank. If you fill it up with decor, then your little fellow will stop glass surfing. Stress may also make him glass surf.

Your tank will eventually have to be converted to a saltwater tank for the duration of your GSP's life. Ok to leave him in freshwater as a youngster for a few months.

If you just leave the snail in the tank, then your puff should be smart enough to figure out that its food.

Here are the things you need to do:
1. Make sure your tank is cycled and have enough beneficial bacteria.
2. Examine your puffer for any external abnormalities for a few weeks. Treat for bacterial or fungal infections if needed.
3. Treat for internal parasites by using Prazipro or Jungle Meds. Puffers are very prone to internal parasites.
4. After your puffer is healthy for a month, then you can start planning to turn your tank into a saltwater system. Post more when you get to this stage.

Also post if you have other questions.

He is about 1 1/2 inch now I have him in light brackish water and I will add more decor tomorrow when my timers turn the lights back on. Could I move him into my 50gal breeder when he gets a little bigger to acclimate him to salt and then all ask my friend that has a saltwater to adopt but he has a banded catshark a long horn cow fish and a lion fish. So they won't mix will they. I don't think I'm ready to go salt water yet I really like my cichlids. If wanted I will post some pics I wouldnt of bought this fish if I knew it went full salt I thought it was the figure eight that stayed brackish. I'm sorry to all the people who are reading this for my ignorance believe me I really feel bad

You are right. The GSP might wreak havoc in your friend's tank.

A saltwater tank is not really that difficult for a simple system. Only difference is the expense of marine salt and the expense of a few extra equipment that saves you money from doing less frequent water changes.

You could just donate the puffer to the store. Or you could just keep your puff in light-brackish water, but GSP lives a lot longer if kept in high-brackish water to marine conditions. This is where people run into ethical questions. Nonetheless, its your decision.

Best thing to do IMO is to return him straight to a private LFS rather than Walmart if I weren't ready for saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom