Puffer Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wes910

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 10 gal tank with 4 mollys and 2 plattys....I really want a puffer fish...espically the figure 8 puffer....are there any that will mix with these fish?

I don't think I'd add a puffer to that tank. You're about at your limit for a 10 gallon tank fishload-wise, for one thing. And although dwarfs are a freshwater puffer (unlike the figure 8 you mentioned, which really needs brackish conditions to thrive), they would chew up the fins of your other fish.

You may want to consider getting another 10 gallon tank for some dwarf puffers alone. Keep in mind, though, puffers can be demanding fish. If you're new to fishkeeping, you might want to wait until you've got some experience.

puffers = very very picky fish! haha, ive learned the hard way. everything has to be perfect from the setup of the tank, to what you are feeding them. IMO they even have to like how you look. if they like you, they will come to the front of the tank. if they don't, they will hide everytime you get close. haha. i agree though, i wouldn't add one to that tank.

-brent

puffers are very picky, and yes very demanding. i would do some research about all the different species of puffers out there: freshwater, brackish, and marine. i understand why people want puffers- they are absolutely irresistable! they are very delicate though, towards their environment. and they are notorious fin-nippers.
i have a green-spotted puffer who gets along wonderful with his girlfriend, who is a columbian shark. they play all day and i swear they adore one another. but i think the lovers had a quarrel, i woke up a couple mornings ago and my shark has a nip missing from her dorsal fin. i hadnt ever seen him even make a grab for her, so it wasnt expected, but i knew there was a possibility. (they're fine now, just swimming and playing, and im keeping an eye on my little bratty puffer.)
puffers are great, and i agree with madame x - wait until you have experience! i know if i hadnt had experience with the waterworld before owning tequila (my puffer) i would definitly be in a lil bit o' trouble ;)
good luck!

All the damage from my puffers has been overnight. I wake up & a fish is just missing...

I have a few of the dwaf puffers and love the little guys, they are so cute. But yes they can be very very picky, especially about what they eat. I am finally getting them to eat freeze dried brine and blood worms, still use the frozen though. And of course a healthy diet of snails into the tank every week

Back
Top Bottom