puffer fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark shirah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am thinking about getting a puffer fish. need some info on water parameters for them. are they all brackish water or not ? there seems to be alot of disagreement on the net about this. need some experienced advice about them.

If you want FW puffers, check out dwarfpuffers.com

Great site w/ great info on them. I read it & am cycling a 5.5gal to house 2 dwarf puffers in the future.

The keys seems to be though that you have to make sure what you're getting is really a dwarf puffer.

Some puffers are FW
Some puffers are BW
and others are fully SW

If you go to the LFS, write down the name of the puffer you like... and look it up (or ask about it here). Some people say you can make BW puffers FW but they won't live nearly as long.

Plan for your puffer to kill everything even tankmates larger than the it. Puffers are unpredictable but sometimes will do just fine with tankmates. Everyone learns the hardway.

Big Ben said:
would BW puffers eat my catfish or mollies
That probably depends on the species of puffer but I wouldn't be surprised if they chewed their fins off. Puffers are known to be nippy.

As was said, som are FW some are SW, some just dont know

Dwarf puffers are devil fish! lol

I adopted two figure 8 puffers, one of them bit my other fish fairly badly but I was expecting it so i netted him (I was trying to see if there were aggressive). That one was executed (I gave him to walmart), the other one is perfectly behaved. He is sitting there looking at me asking for food.

Back
Top Bottom