Puffer fish not in good condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, if you put straight tap water in the tank....

I'm not stupid. I know how to take care of fish. I'm not going to put untreated water in the tank. I couldn't do water changes because I was out. I didn't continue to do them without water conditioner.

I'm not stupid. I know how to take care of fish. I'm not going to put untreated water in the tank. I couldn't do water changes because I was out. I didn't continue to do them without water conditioner.

Hey now, your last post made it sound like you put untreated water in the tank. You're asking for advice on what to do with your puffer, but you aren't carrying any of them out.

Hey now, your last post made it sound like you put untreated water in the tank. You're asking for advice on what to do with your puffer, but you aren't carrying any of them out.

I don't get what you mean by that.

I'm suggesting to put her in a breeder box. Did you do that?
I'm suggesting to feed live foods. Did you do that?

That's good. My LFS got some in, 6 I think, but only had 2 last time I was there. They wouldn't eat, so the poor things starved :(

From articles I've read she had an internal parasite

I would suggest picking up some prazi with the new puffers and treating them all, just to be safe. Does the tank have a lid? I've read that they can be jumpers.

Internal parasites are a common affliction with DPs, unfortunately. However, before getting any more fish you have to confirm that your water parameters are ok. Ideally this is done through your own liquid test kit. It's ok to take a water sample to your LFS, but as long as they are trustworthy and are not using strips to test your water. Strips are often highly inaccurate but are much cheaper and quicker, thus why they are commonly used by pet stores. DPs are pretty sensitive fish and need pristine water quality, so weekly PWCs of 40%-50% is recommended.

i was going to say internal parasite as well. they might seem healthy when you got them but the IP slowly takes a toll on them. i've had 4-5 puffers and now down to my last one because one by one they got skinnier and skinnier to the point where they wouldn't eat anymore. i've tried HCL with no avail. where can i get some prazi if i may ask?

I got some prazi on eBay for pretty cheap. My LFS carries it sometimes but they charge like twice what I paid and I didn't need it in a hurry so I could wait a couple days for shipping.

I got some prazi on eBay for pretty cheap. My LFS carries it sometimes but they charge like twice what I paid and I didn't need it in a hurry so I could wait a couple days for shipping.

i've heard that some pet medications, the dog/cat dewormers have praziquantel as well. not sure if anyone tried this method or how it's applied in the aquarium

Back
Top Bottom