puffer problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a green spot puffer in a ( i belive to be ) 25 gal tank with 3 blue stripe hermit crabs and an oyster

for filtration i have 2 aquaclear 150 hob filters

i keep at about 21 20 degrees (celcius)

have maybe 6 pounds live rock i use a mix of sand an gravel for substrate

tanks been set up over year an a half had spot almost as long

i feed him freeze dry krill an pest snails from the pet store (skipping every third day)

ammo 0 trites 0 trates 0 pH 7.6 on the low test an 7.8 on the high i use a nutrafin mini master test kit

.... im not sure if he scraped his head on something or what but seens like the colour is missing off the bright spot on his head. i asked the fish store for advice.... they sold me melafix, i ended up using the whole bottle with little results so im thinking maybe its not a bacterial problem

pretty vauge explanation but that s all i got any help would be greatly apretiated.

thanx, Spike

The green spot puffers should not be kept in a marine environment. What is the SG?

A missing spot doesn't necessarily mean an infection or anything wrong. May just be a pigment change. You said you had little results...what were those little results?

sg is .022 i been lowering it from full salt on advice from a diff site

the melafix brought back one of the black spots in the bright spot on the top of his head but most of it is still white colour

he swims fine still curious eats fine seems healthy to me what left of the bright spot is very bright still

its true that after about 2 years he should be in full salt (.025)??

o an i been feeding him a live fish every month or so, i know i shouldnt but i found a store that has a real good feeder tank (not over stocked with awesome healthy looking fish in)
i was told this would make him grow faster an seemd to do jus that

What are these real good feeders??? Goldfish??? They're like candy with very little nutritional value and a disease risk none the less. Doesn't matter how the tank is stocked. The store is not the source of fish. The breeding farms are. Trust me...you don't want to continue feeding goldfish. If you want to treat him to something live, give him ghost shrimp. It's safer and more nutritious. And much more entertaining to watch him chase after...LOL.

its true that after about 2 years he should be in full salt (.025)??

No. Brackish only. SG between 1.008 and 1.012. Keep lowering the SG and see if there are any improvements with that before any more treatments.

i tried the ghost shrimp but he didnt eat it an it jus swam round till it died, which didnt take long
i started my puffer in the brakish but the reserch i did told me that over its life in thew wild it would end up in the ocean and that i should raise the sg till it was at full at about 2 years old
and i have had it for a bit longer than 2 years i member
that was kinna why i got that paticular fish
so i could get weened into the salt water aquarium as this is my first

Every ID book I have states they should not live in a full marine system. One actually states they will not srvive giving me the impression that their lifespans are cut short in a full marine system. Captivity may have something to do with it. Maybe something totally different. Some basics do change when you put a wild animal in a see through box.

I'd be interested in knowing your sources of information. I'd check them out myself.

Back
Top Bottom