Puffer Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PufferLover1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello~ I’m new to this forum. I have been reluctant to post, as I didn’t really have an exact question, and to be honest I was afraid anything I said would be shot down by advanced aquarium owners. But I have decided to give it a shot.

I am getting a 12 gallon tank and fell in love with puffer fish. I first saw pea puffers, and I think they are cute and the first thing people are going to say. But now I think figure 8 puffers are amazing. I know they are supposed to have 15G but I decided to write this post in hypothetical. Could I keep just one? I could heavily plant it OR leave it open for more swimming space. I could also do any amount of water changes nessisary. But yes, I know they need more space. But could they live like this for a year? If they can, I can upgrade them to a 29G next year.

Thanks for answers,
1:fish2:

Technically you can keep any fish you want in any sized tank. As long the water parameters are in check they will survive. Thriving is a better situation though. Swapping tanks is also a pain.

ok. I will restate what I mean then.
Could they be happy in a 10 gallon tank? Just one? If not I will go back to pea puffers. But I think it’s implied I want a fish to be happy, and if not I hope it’s implied now.

Thanks for response,

Since a lot of the suggested tank sizes are subjective, it’s more or less what you think is going to be ok.

A lot of people keep fish in smaller than suggested tanks and the fish do just fine.

It’s like asking someone if they’ll die if they live in a 800 square foot house vs a 30,000sqft mansion. Yea you’ll survive in the smaller house, but the mansion would be nice and you’ll probably be a lot happier lol

IMO a 12g would be ok, they do best by themselves anyway so it should be ok. You know they’re a brackish species though right?

Hi.
I do understand, and I get it. I just thought I'd ask. And want it to be clear that I do want the fish to be happy and will get them a new home next year.

Yes, I do know they're brackish. How much aquarium salt should I do? Most people say 1-2 TBS per gallon, but the salt company themselves says that amount for three gallons. ??

Thanks!,

I don’t know how much, but you’ll want to use a sw salt mix not aquarium salt. For me it takes 2 cups per 5G to reach a salinity of 1.025 so for .008-.010 probably 1/2 cup or so per 5G. Just get a refractometer to accurately measure the salinity.

Ok— I will buy one. thank you. Are there recommend brands of salt? Thanks
Thank you for response!

I use Red Sea currently, but since your not going to be worried about the levels of the trace elements like in a reef tank I would just go with what you can get locally or cheapest. Instant ocean is still sold at petsmart I believe and is usually on the cheaper end.

Ok! I saw instant ocean, so I think that's what I'm going to go with. Thanks! And for substrate do they prefer sand or coarse sand or gravel?

Thank You!

Ok, thank you. I like sand but am slightly discouraged by it because of fear of clouding.

UPDATE::: After I did more research I decided I will be buying a 20g high for F8 instead of 12g. If I end up buying a 12g I will simply get dwarfs. Thanks!

Do the sand. They are messy eaters and big poopers. All that will settle in. The gravel and make a problem. That small tank is going to require a lot of maintenence to keep the puff happy and healthy.

I had a buddy that kept a figure 8 puffer in a ten gallon and it really was not an ideal situation. They are pretty active fish and have a very heavy bioload for their size. You will need to stay on top of your maintenance to keep the water quality acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom