Puffer worms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, one of my tanks appears to have worms (tiny white/clear hair like worms) and tiny mite (smaller than a grain of sand) type beasts scooting about in the water and occasionally sitting on the glass!!

I do not have this in my other tank :-/

My affected tank is a 5G which has one dwarf puffer fish, moderately planted for size of tank and has many pond snails. I have sand substrate as well as a piece of wood in the tank.

It absolutely can't be from over feeding, he takes his blood worms directly from me and snacks on the occasional baby snail. There is never any left over food in tank and I have been doing 50% water changes (sometimes daily) for the past 2 weeks at least!! (had nitrite spike).

Any ideas? I have also recently noticed an oily film appear on surface of water, visible when the light is on?? Not sure if this is related. Many thanks for ANY input :)

Hi! I'm on my cell or I would post the link here. Google 'planet inverts/what is this bug in my aquarium'. There are very clear pics of different aquatic creatures in our freshwater tanks. Most are harmless so although they are unsightly, they do not pose any danger. My guess is the worms are likely planaria but they may also be some type of nematode/detritus worm. I honestly have no clue on the tiny darting creatures as I have never encountered these. If you don't find the link, let me know and I'll post it tomorrow when I'm back on my computer. Hope this helps a bit!

Hi! I'm on my cell or I would post the link here. Google 'planet inverts/what is this bug in my aquarium'. There are very clear pics of different aquatic creatures in our freshwater tanks. Most are harmless so although they are unsightly, they do not pose any danger. My guess is the worms are likely planaria but they may also be some type of nematode/detritus worm. I honestly have no clue on the tiny darting creatures as I have never encountered these. If you don't find the link, let me know and I'll post it tomorrow when I'm back on my computer. Hope this helps a bit!

Excellent site, thank you v much! Looks like I have daphnia and nematode worms from the pics and description of their movements, yuk! They are not welcome...mission to get rid of them is ON :)

Glad it helped! Good luck getting rid of them but don't make yourself insane in the process! They wont hurt anything so try to avoid using meds if possible. :)

Glad it helped! Good luck getting rid of them but don't make yourself insane in the process! They wont hurt anything so try to avoid using meds if possible. :)

Definitely no meds!!! Just a demon with a vac and a bucket ;-)

Back
Top Bottom