Puffers, puffers, puffers!!!!?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so i started out wanting to get DPs but wasnt able to find them. Then i moved on to trying to find SAPs, wasnt able to find them but was considering ordering them online. Now i go to an LFS and they have 2 types of puffers, one was labled a pea puffer, i assume that this is a DP, the other was labled a bronze puffer. I like the bronze puffer but the guy at the store wasnt sure how big it got. The tank that whichever puffer i chose to get will be an eclipse 12. So noiw i am back to thinking DPs or this bronze puffer. Can anyone verify the ID of the pea puffer? CAn anyone give me info on the "bronze puffer"? Also out of all these which would be the best in my elcipse 12?

THANKS

Well it definatly doesnt look like a congo puffer. Its fins almost look like those of a niger trigger.

I have heard of Carinotetraodon travancoricus being called Pea Puffer, Dwarf Puffer, and Malabar Puffer. I'm not sure what the Bronze Puffer might be.

Pea Puffers are DPs, that's what mine was labled when I bought her. Can't help you on the bronze, but I second the puffer forum.

And IME, the bronze puffers aren't nearly as attractive/puffer-looking as other puffers. They have a very strange morphology...

Another fish called the bronze puffer, is a much smaller version of the one linked above. It is nicer too. They are as nervous as South Americans & also need regular teeth trimming.

Ok, it looks similar to the link above, however the color is different, it is less gold and yellow and more darker pronze or silver. The guy at the LFs noted them for being pretty peaceful. Is it possible it could be a

Chonerhinos modestus
http://puffernet.tripod.com/modestus.html

OR
Chonerhinos nefastus
http://puffernet.tripod.com/nefastus.html

They also seemed to have big bellies, not sure if it's cuz they are overfed or just that way. So my question is, what in you peoples opinion would be the most interesting to do? DPs, 1SAP, or the bronze? I would have to order the SAP online though.

THANKS

The more commonly sold fish is the C modestus. They only grow to 4.5", are FW & fairly mild-tempered, while the BW-SW Xenopterus naritus is mean & grows to 12". It would be wise to find out which it is, before purchasing. I would love to have a couple of modestus to keep! Either way, I don't think either of those fish would be ok in a 12g tank. Your best bet are the dwarves, I think.

1 sap might be ok, if you're willing to trim it's teethe every 4-6 months. That's why I said dwarves.

Well, i was wanting a SAP, but one thing is no stores around here have them , so i would have to order online and that total comes out to about $40 with shipping. I found a store near me with alot of DPs. Plus i have heard it is better to keep more than 1 SAP. So i think tomorrow i may opick up about 5 DPs.

Yeah its been cycled for a long time, i have just delayed putting something in for so long. Right now there are just danios in there which i will take out before i get the puffers.

Ok, well today ig ot 5 dwarves. I know the best food for them is snails (i will try and provide some eventually), but for now what should i feed them? The guy at the store said brin would be fine...... :roll: . I have some other frozen food i could try from this variety pack thing i have. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom