Pump size for sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squeegee_gal77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 65 gallon corner aquarium with a 12 gallon sump. I'm wondering what size pump I should use in this system?

From Bulkhead Flow Rate Art
These results demonstrate that with typical overflow plumbing (that is a straight shot to the sump, no strainers) a:
2 inch bulkhead will flow approximately 1350 GPH
1 ½ inch bulkhead will flow approximately 975 GPH
1 inch bulkhead will flow approximately 350 GPH
¾ inch bulkhead will flow approximately 165 GPH

These numbers are somewhat conservative from my experience, but the safety margin is a very smart idea. If you're using strainers you should halve those flow-rates.

It's is a 1" pipe at the drain line and the return line... Am I in for a mess with a 950 GPH pump?

You'll need ether a 2" pipe or 2 1" pipes, you'll need the flow rate of the pipes to be over the flow rate of your pump. but not to much that you'll get popping noises but you can make the hole smaller with reducers. That's what I think any way :).

You could use both lines as drains, and plumb the return out the back of the stand.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Remember that a sump return pump is lifting the water around 3'. Most often this will reduce the output of the pump to 40-50% of its rated GPH. Your pump will probably deliver around 400-500 GPH returning back up to the main tank.

You can also pipe in a throttling bypass valve if needed... To do this you need to have a T fitting coming out of the pump, straight through the T will go up to the tank return while the side of the T will have a ball valve plumbed right back into the sump. Some some people plumb the sump bypass to the filter side, some to the pump side, up to you really. If the pump overpowers your drain you just slowly open the bypass valve, sending some of the pumps output right back into the sump.

Back
Top Bottom