Punctured by my Cory catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judyheitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got punctured by my Cory catfish about five hours ago as I tried to get it out of my net. My finger is still throbbing and if I put a bandage on it still bleeding. From what I’ve read they can be poisonous on there a pectoral and dorsal fins. My finger is really throbbing and I’m not really sure if I should be very concerned about this or if it will just run its course and be done. I washed it out really good used an antibiotic to wash it with and put another antiseptic on it. I hate overreacting and going to the doctors office at 5 o’clock in the afternoon on Saturday so It would end up being an ER visit. I have a screw in my finger joint very near where I got poked by my fish. Have any of you had similar experiences and did they resolve on their own?

How are you?

What did you do, wait it out go to doc???

Just saw this, a bit late at this point, but wondering how it's going.

Not a DR. but was given oral Benedryl - DIPHENHYDRAMINE for spider bite before and told to watch for signs of infection as a serious condition could result if it worsens. Irregular heartbeat, breathing problems, red line up hand /arm, swelling change of color of skin, etc. ER would be warranted for sure if any question to securing your health.

OK, some important things to say here, firstly, what species do you have? Only some corydoras have these glands in their barbs.

Secondly, unless you have an allergy, it'll sting a bit, but won't otherwise harm you. Put continuous pressure on the site for a couple of minutes. If it continues bleeding, it's time for the hospital. And I mean it's producing enough blood to eventually start running. Just a tiny amount of seepage is not a concern as the blood coagulates faster than it seeps.

If the bleeding continues, you may be having a reaction, you may be older and less able to clot effectively or a long list of things. But most of those things have nothing to do with the cory's sting.

If you have to catch cories, shrimp nets are a better choice since they are stiffer. Ideally, you'd use a jar trap or a cup.

I see that this is an older post and you've likely sorted it out one way or another, but hopefully this information will help others, or you if it happens again!

I've been stuck by about every catfish variety native to North America at one time or another and several aquarium types. Still breathing, still here. No worries.

Back
Top Bottom