Puntius denisonii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have seen that some people are keeping Puntius denisonii (Denison barb, Roseline Shark). They're new to my area within the last couple of years from what I've seen. And they're spendy! What are you all paying for them? And are you getting them locally?

I picked up a trio when they first started making an appearance in the Dallas, TX area. The fish were $35 each but they were so exquisitely gorgeous that I just had to have them! They coexisted magnificently with Tiger Barbs, Blue Gouramis and numerous types of loaches.

I finally gave them away to a friend of mine who had another trio in a 240 gallon tank (I got rid of them because I wanted to add some Ceylon Combtails to the tank they were in and the Combtails took a decided dislike to the Roseline 'Sharks').

-Joe

I saw some here in Sacramento at Capitol aquarium. They were probably about 4" or so, and I think they were going for about $12-14, but I don't remember for sure.

Crazycat has a tank full of them. She has some pics of them in the plant forum. I saw them at the lfs yesterday for the first time and wanted some. At $39.99 each I passed.

I just saw some at like 3 inches for $7.99 each, I would have gotten them but I didnt think they would go well in my long tank due to the set up and stocking right now.

I saw some here the other day for the first time and my were they pretty!! They were expensive, though - I can't remember if they were $30 or $60...

i've paid as much as $30/fish and as little as $17. the larger they are, the more expensive. azgardens (http://azgardens.com) has them for about $19. i've haven't ordered from them so i can't vouch, but i've heard really good things about them.

these fish are exceptionally hardy and absolutely gorgeous. they swim constantly and are the least aggressive of all my fish. i can't recommend them enough! i have 7 currently and another 8 on the way. if you have the space for them (i have a 125g), i think they are the greatest showcase fish!

At those prices we should be breeding them!!!! 8O

Wow, I was just watching them at my lfs while searching tanks for a good snail. I think they were $7. I remember they were in a tank with a school of silver hatchets that I was just fascinated in watching. I don't think I'd even pay $7 for a denison. Must be hard to keep alive or breed or something?

breeding yes. keeping alive, not at all. they are VERY hardy. i've only had one die on me from an internal parasite. they're very adaptable and eat anything. they love thepeas i give to my plecos--and recently, i've noticed them swimming to the top and taking large bites of duckweed. strange, but true. $7 is CHEAP for them. how big were they?

They must have been about an inch. I really wasn't paying much attention to them, I was looking for a snail and for a good tankmate for my goldfish. I don't remember how many they had, only a few I think. They look like a small minnow to me and that's nothing I'd take notice of.

DepotFish said:
They must have been about an inch. I really wasn't paying much attention to them, I was looking for a snail and for a good tankmate for my goldfish. I don't remember how many they had, only a few I think. They look like a small minnow to me and that's nothing I'd take notice of.

wow--you should see them when they get to be 5-6"!

Attachments

• new_plants02_174.jpg
    new_plants02_174.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 59
They are $18/ea for about five inchers here. Beautiful fish!

You may have seen it already, but they were the centerpiece fish in Oliver Knott's Best of Show tank at 2004 AGA. Here is the link.

With all those plants they are pretty. I guess from what I'm hearing the behaviors of the fish are what makes them most interesting.

WOW czcz!!!!!!! that tank is somthin else! thanks for the link.

still working on a carpet...slow going/growing--and my darn loaches keep digging up the glosso plantlets!

"You have to be more stubborn than your fish." - Travis :D

My kuhliis, for the most part, are over messing with my carpet for what its worth. They hang on plants or seek shelter under middground plants now. Maybe loaches just need to get it out of their system :)

BTW, I also love your rainbows. You seem to have a very interesting and entertaining tank.

WOW Joe. And a critique from both Amano and Karen Randle. Are there two better know names in planted tanks?

This barb is destined to be something very special. I can almost sense the popularity that's coming. I sent Cat a PM saying it would be a real coup to be the first to spawn this magnificent fish.

I checked back on the ones I had mentioned previously. I was wrong on the price. They are asking $50!

My other good lfs has a school of them in a discus tank (really nice tank!), and they are asking $25. Still too high for me. But if they can get some cheaper ones, I'd like to get a few.

ditto, bosk. i checked back on mine are they are $60 8O but they were about 3 or 4 inches, i'm definitely going to keep an eye out for smaller, cheaper ones.

Back
Top Bottom