Purified water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmrwiggly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have well water that has high ph and nitrate. I'm tired of fighting with this problem. My question is can I use purified water or would I be better off
using chlorinated water and dosing it with seachem prime?

John

Hi all,
I have well water that has high ph and nitrate. I'm tired of fighting with this problem. My question is can I use purified water or would I be better off
using chlorinated water and dosing it with seachem prime?

John
Hi John:

Not sure I'm clear on this: is your well water chlorinated? Or do you have chlorinated city or company water in addition to your well?

If your source water has high nitrate you could consider running an ion-exchange resin in your filter to help remove the nitrate. A friend of mine who had a similar problem used to pre-filter his replacement water in an old 10g tank with a filter containing an ion-exchange resin to lower the nitrate. When he went to do water changes in his main tank he took the water from the 10g and then replaced it with tap water to start pre-filtering again.

What size is your tank, and how is it stocked?

If you do decide to use a chlorinated water source, then the Prime would be a great water conditioner. It would also help neutralize the nitrate.

My tank is 75g and well planted. I had to removed about 20 plants so we could see the fish better. There still is around 20-30 plants left. There is a total of 31 fish. 4 types of tetras, oto cats, candy stripe pleco, cory cat and 2 fiddler crabs. We don't have any place for another tank.

We use reverse osmosis water...leave it sit at room temperature for about 3 or 4 days before adding to tank, never had a problem with it...

Jm...

How high is high? Is the tank properly cycled? Well water can be treated the same as public water supplies. Use an additive to remove chlorine and chloramine and simply remove and replace most of the water in the tank every few days. This will maintain a balanced tank chemistry and this is the goal of any good water keeper.

Easy peazee,

B

Back
Top Bottom