Purigen not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had purigen in my tank since Monday my water is still full of tannins. My tank looks pathetic. What should I do is my purigen defective.

What is causing the tannins? If you have something that is leeching a bunch of tannins, no amount of Purigen is going to clear it completely up - but it doesn't mean your purigen is defective.

Last edited:
I tried Purigen a couple of times for tannins but it does not seem anywhere near as effective as plain carbon. The Purgien seemed to foul and turn dark brown very quickly and was stained permanently. The best thing I know removing tannins is patience and lots of water changes.

Last edited:
Alot depends on the amount of tannins and the amount of purgen used. If your having alot of tannin leeching, doing daily water changes helps alot. I used both Purgen and Carbon in the beginning of the dirted tank due to tannins leaking from the organic soil. Thing is I did 7 days of 100% WC's and ran the filter with both products. The big WC's took care of the bulk of the inital tannins and after that the Purgen and Carbon did the rest. The Purgen is good till it about turns black when using it for tannins. Plus I used more than the recommended amount due to the high tannins. Thing is if tannins are leeching bad no amount of carbon or purgen are going to be able to keep up without WC's.

Back
Top Bottom