Purigen with HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good day everyone, I am wanting to get more "umff" out of my filter and heard good things about Purigen. But my question is, how would this work in my HOB filters? Would I just drop the mesh bag with Purigen into the reservoir of the filters? Or maybe this isn't designed for HOB filters? I'm also open to other suggestions. Currently I have a 75 gallon tank with 2 Aqueon 55/75 HOB filters. I have a combination of the Aqueon filter cartridges and polyfiber media in the filters. I also have a second 37 gallon tank with one Aqueon 50 HOB. Thanks in advance for the advice.

P.S. - A canister filter is not in the budget at this time, but it is a long term goal, at least for the 75 gallon tank.

I just stuff it in my HOB. Right after the filter pad so it's not clogged up with physical waste. Just make sure you don't overdo it and you can't get flow.

Look on Amazon. SunSun and Cascade canisters and nicely rated and are not much more than an HOB.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Get the purigen that already comes in a bag. I believe it's the 100 ml. I just put mine in front of the filter cartridge.

Get the purigen that already comes in a bag. I believe it's the 100 ml. I just put mine in front of the filter cartridge.

Unless you clean it often then it will build up all that yucky waste on it. I let the filter pad take the heat.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

In my HOB I took my filter pad and carbon out and added purigen and an extra bag of ceramic rings. I have a filter pad on my intake to keep the big particles as well as baby shrimp out.

U

Thanks for the input - I do have a small area after the plastic "bio mesh" that I think the small bag might fit. I'll have to play around with it...

If I could go back I would definitely go with a canister, but we got a free HOB, so I just got another for more capacity when we set up the new tank.

I took my carbon out and put it in place of the carbon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Unless you clean it often then it will build up all that yucky waste on it. I let the filter pad take the heat.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

That's what I mean by in the front. I do the same thing as you. The purigen is the last thing the water goes through.

I use a smaller Tetra Whisper 20 or 30 filter ive had for 14 years now for my purigen bags.. Its a single slot HOB quiet as can be, and what I did was put like 2-3 inches of ceramic rings in it for extra bacteria to grow, and then I put a sponge filter over the inlet inside the tank so when the filter sucks up water all its getting is just water and not large food particles. Then I put two 100ml purigen bags in the filter and that's it.

And I use my main filter the eheim 2217 canister right next to it. This way I don't have to constantly take my eheim apart to remove the purigen to renew it

Back
Top Bottom