Purigen? Your thoughts on it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanjosalien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently came across Purigen and did use it but for some reason aside from hearing all the great reviews on it the bad reviews I did find that's what happened to me. I even lost a fish.

I was just curious on everyones PO on it and if it's worked for you guys or not. I wanted to use it because for some reason nitrites seemed to be high in my tank even after water changes so I thought it would help and it did untill it like I said killed one of my fish, caused rapid breathing in two of my bristle nose plecos and fin rot in another one.

I’ve used it in the past to help clear the water of tannins (was very effective). It’s fine for use in Planted tanks as it does not remove water column fertilizers. I was not able to recharge it after several months of use. After a few bleach soakings it never regained its light sand appearance; stayed dark and got smelly. Ended up throwing it out. I dont use it anymore because I actually add products to my tanks to promote the tannins.
Edit: Is it possible that the elevated nitrites led to the poor health and not necessarily the use of Purigen?

I wouldn't be to sure that elevated nitrites caused the poor health because I did have a nitrite spike but it was fixed. I mean it could of been who knows

If you had elevated nitrites that persisted even after changes then that means either the amount of water changed was insufficient or the nitrite levels were very high (or both). High nitrites can kill fish. Even if the Purigen reduced the nitrite levels, the damage to the fish may have already been done.

I really liked running Purigen in my 55 reef tank. It was nice to be able to bring it back to live and just have alternating batches in the system and in a bleach soak.

I recently came across Purigen and did use it but for some reason aside from hearing all the great reviews on it the bad reviews I did find that's what happened to me. I even lost a fish.

I was just curious on everyones PO on it and if it's worked for you guys or not. I wanted to use it because for some reason nitrites seemed to be high in my tank even after water changes so I thought it would help and it did untill it like I said killed one of my fish, caused rapid breathing in two of my bristle nose plecos and fin rot in another one.

I love Purigen and use it regularly in lightly planted and heavily planted tanks. Never had a problem, always have crystal clear water. The problems you experienced with fish loss I suspect were caused by something else.

What I find strange is literally overnight switching back to carbon my long finned bristle Nose's fin rot is literally gone I mean from having a dorsal fin that looked like someone was making streamers out of to being full health overnight, not only that but two days after adding purigen I actually got a bacterial bloom in my water like snowing almost. I've switched back to carbon & my water has never been clearer. I think I just got a bad batch than.

I used to use out and it was effective at making the water extra clear. However, the bleach soaking is a bit of a pain and I eventually stopped using it. I'm not sure how it affects nitrite removal, but I used it for a year or so with no adverse effects.

What kind of water dechlorinator did you use?

That sounds strange. A fin would not normally be able to heal over night - and as you say full health. Are you sure there aren't 2 Plecos one with a tattered fin and one with a nice fin?

Sometimes the water companies use toxic flushes in the water system to kill bacteria blooms, or in the case of a pipe repair or change of some kind can use the big burst of killer stuff so we won't get a toxic bacteria in the water conditions which could kill us or make us sick from that. It could kill /injure the aqua pets.

Also not having uncycled media or rinsed in untreated tap water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom