Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

putbull pleco vs oto cats

I currently have a SAE in my 20gal but i was thinking of trading it for a pleco, i know most of them get too big for a 20 but i was thinking about a pitbull pleco or otos. i know if i get otos i should get 3 or 4 of them but i dont know much about pitbull plecos other than they are small and i find them interesting. i would assume since they are plecos 1 would do fine by its self and since they dont get as big as the SAE it would make room for another school of small tetras

agwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think there is more than one pleco that is sometimes sold under the name Bulldog/Pitbull pleco but the most common is the Rubbernose/Rubberlip Pleco. I've read that pitbulls like interaction with each other, but IMO they do fine by themselves in a tank. I've also read that they enjoy large smooth rocks and that seems to hold true with the one my son has in his tank. He often lays on a large stone situated in the middle of the tank when he's not in his favorite little hiding spot. They stay smallish and can have a lot of personality.

IMO, otos are the better algae eater HOWEVER, they are sensitive little fish that really need a well established, planted tank to thrive. They do like to interact with one another, so do plan on getting more than one if you decide to try them. Many have said (and it's been my experience as well) that if you can keep them alive for a month, then they are usually healthy and will continue to thrive.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get a BN Pleco they stay under 5
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep 2 pitbull plecos in my 20 gal. They are awesome algae eaters. One was very shy and skittish without the other, I highly recommend two. I would also recommend double filtration, if you don't already have it, depending on what else you have stocked, because they poop a tremendous amount, even though they won't exceed 3". Make sure to have driftwood in the tank for the pitbulls..like most plecos it is a crucial part of their diet. Oto's are grea algae eaters as well, I have 4 of them in another 20. I keep wood in there for them as well...although it is not crucial, they do enjoy it. For either choice. I would wait until the tank is well established, 6 months is good.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tanks been up for almost 6 months and has had fish in it for over 4. Its planted w/ a nice piece of bog wood. Right now it has 6 serpae tetras 6 pirstella tetras and a SAE that I would like to replace w the pitbulls or ohos. And im running a 30-40gal filter
Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perfect. I'd get 2 pitbulls. They are really effecient and quite attractive for a pleco, IMO.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was starting a new 10 gal and was going to move my pristella tetras to it and replace them with a blue gourami. would i still be able to get 2 pitbull plecos? new stoking list would be:
1 blue gourami, 6 serpae tetras, 2 pitbull plecos
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it a Dwarf Blue Gourami. If it is, I believe you will be good on that count, but serpaes would really be best left in the 20g IMO.

If it is a regular Blue Gourami, you will not have room in a 10 gallon. If you want a gourami for a 10g, I would say some good ones would be Dwarf Gouramis or Honey Gouramis. Both stay fairly small and do well in that size tank.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, personally I wouldn't put pristella's in a 10. I consider 20 gals the minimum for most tetras. Ember's and neon's excluded.

But otherwise you stocklist looks fine. If the tank is double filtered you could still put a group of small bottom dwellers in, like kuhli loaches or dwarf cory cats.

Tags
oto, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com