putting fish in a new tank while gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
i'll be going on vacation in a few days, so im bringing fish from my 55 gal tank, over to someones house in a 20 gal tank, to take care of them, while im gone.

the problem is that the water from the 20 gal will be brand new, so if i just put in some used filter media into the filter would that be ok, without doing proper cycling?

i'd hate for the fish im bringing to not make it while im gone (im going to sound bad, but they're more of my favorites, {as well as being fish i wouldnt want to leave alone with just a auto feeder, as they might snack on some neons)

incase you're wondering, i'll be transporting:
1 small BGK
3 Moonlight Gouramis
4 Kissing Gouramis

i dont have a say in if they can just stay where they are...so please dont ask me to leave them

Can you move the entire filter? If you can, just use the current filter on the 20G tank, as it will already be cycled. And then when you get back, you won't need to worry about re-cycling the 55G when you move the fish back. If the filter is just left on the 55G with no ammonia source, the bacteria will begin to die off and you will need to re-cycle the tank. What kind of filter is it? Is it something that will fit on the 20G?

i have a topfin/tetra whisper 60, and a penguin 330 on the 55g

the 20g has a penguin 170, and is running as my clawed frogs filter (no worries, the frog wont be with the fish)

the kissing gourami are still small, the moonlights are a good size and the BGK is only 3-4"

its nothing i'd leave permanent, but im sure they'll be ok for a a little more than a week

so wolf i'll be using the 170 filter, and some of its old media, i should have posted that eailier

i just wanna know if the fish, mainly the bgk because they're sensitive when they're young, will be alright in a new tank

and rich, yes it is alot of work...

Is there a reason why your friend can't just drop by your house once or twice to feed them while you are gone? It seems to me that the stress of 2 moves (when you leave and when you come back) will be MUCH worse than just skipping a couple of meals.

If you are going away for a little more than a week, your fish do not need to be fed. They will be just fine and very happy to see you when you return. Moving them twice would be lot worse for them. Just my opinion.

src said:
Is there a reason why your friend can't just drop by your house once or twice to feed them while you are gone?.

the reason is... my house will be locked up, deadbolted, with a big alarm system armed, and its a pain to turn off, have the alarm company call, explain, and reset the alarm every day, or every so often, and then theres the chance they forget to set it...

(beleive me, i house sat my neighbors dog, and they have a system that was unfamiliar with me, wouldnt turn off...)

like i said, its not my choice, otherwise i would be happy leaving the fish home

Ditto on the automatic feeder, then. Anytime you move your fish into a new environment like that, you are really taking a risk. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

actually i do have an auto feeder, but anyone who has used those knows it give enough food to leave 3 neons still hungry, and they're too expensive ($15-21) to buy several. and at the rate my moonlights and kissers eat, and the face that they're top eaters doesnt help the other fish

besides my bgk only eats frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp

like i said, i would just leave them home if it was my choice

I hear you .... it looks like you've considered all possibilities. Its one of the downsides of having pets .... travelling is a bit of pain. Since my geriatric dog needs meds 2x a day and needs to go outside more times than I can count I've just bitten the bullet and paid a petsitter to come 2x during the day and stay overnight. She even managed to figure out the alarm (yes, I've been there too !).

So, your goal is to minimize the stress and concern about the water. Its even more work, but could you bring over water from the 55G to fill the 20G tank - no acclimiation shock (just let the temps equalize). And with your current filter they'll be no cycle, but you might want to bring a test kit to your friends also (just in case)

Good luck and have a great vacation !

i tried the transfering water idea, but then people told me the water doesnt hold beneficail bacteria that well, and it wouldnt really make a diff, but i think i'll do it anyways.

i heard id be better off if i transfer gravel and filter media instead, wish me luck...

Yes, as far as the good bacteria you'll have your filter and whatever substrate you can take. And yes, the water doesn't contain very much bacteria at all but I was thinking in terms of pH, GH, KH .... just to keep down the amt of change they experience in these conditions in the water itself.

Back
Top Bottom