Putting ghost shrimp with fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if the ghost shrimp would eat the fry if i put him in the breeding net to clean up the bottom. The fry are only a few days old, very small.

It's very possible especially if they are weaker and slower than the ghost shrimp and hover along the bottom. Better off with tiny algae shrimp. They also eat excess food on the bottom, not just algae. The ghost shrimp with fry that small can overpower even a healthy fry if the fry are a known slow paced fish like fantail gold fish and guppies. Healthy fry should be able to get away from algae shrimp. If not, then it's best they do get eaten. A great way for keeping the brood healthy.

Well.. Their healthy but sometimes they hover near the bottom to eat soft flakes.. So Where do i get tiny algae shrimp...and how much will they most likely cost >.<

Algae shrimp are sold at LFS and on the internet. Just type in algae shrimp in your search engine or check out some of AA's sponsors. They generally cost about $1.00 to $2.00 each.

When I got my ghost shrimp, they were smaller than 1 inch and only touched a fry if it was dead already. Now that some of them are over 1 inch, they will eat anything they can catch! I lost a lot of fry in a 10 gallon tank because the ghost shrimp would hide in the plants and snatch the fry when they got too close. I started with well over 100 sword fry and until I removed the ghost shrimp, their numbers dropped to around 50. I watched one of my largest ghost shrimp grab a fry and get pulled all around the tank until it was able to kill it and eat it.

Back
Top Bottom