puzzled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got 8 orange/black tailed platys from Petsmart. Did the recommended 30% water change, added the recommended conditioner, let them sit in the bag for 20 minutes in the water, added recommended tankwatre to bag. All this before letting them loose into the tank.
Now I am puzzled. They seem to be split up in three groups. a few hiding in the green of the plants. a few sitting in just one corner, with their noses into the corner. a few in the opposite corner. When I gently nudge them, they swim a little, but return immediately to their corner. They don't react to food. and water temperature is good as it has been for existing fish.
Also now my Beta is hiding in a dark spot, and won't come out unless nudged with the finger.
Wazzamatta ????
Thanks
HN

greetings.

how long ago was this? every time fish is added to a tank there will be a period where both new and current fish have to adapt to the changes.

just two days ago. should i just let it go ?
HN

well, my platies are only really one big "group" when they try to steal the tablet food from the buttom-dwellers, so that's fairly normal. some hang out in the surface, some in the plantation, etc.

however, you mentioned they don't react to food at all? is this all of the platies?

Thanks. !
yes only ONE swims up to it, nibbles at it and swims away.
Weird huh ?
HN

Well, the problem solved itself. They, as well as 3 corys are all dead now.
Have no idea wat I did wrong, but it makes me sad, to see even some small lives wasted.
Water is clear, ph shows at 6. Old fish ( used to swimming in poison ?) are still thriving. Although two of my tiger barbs have disappeared.
Nowhere to be seen, not even behind or next to tank , just in case they jumped through the small cracks between the tank and the cover.
Ié had aquariums for many moons, wbut this is the first (20 gallon) tank I have such trouble with.
Perhaps I should take the others out, transfer them into an old 10 gallon, with the water they are used to. And than make a clean start (again) with the 20 gal. Get new gravel or cook the old one, to kill all bacteria.
I am very ill, and old, and have not much energy though. perhaps i should let them jus live out their little lives, and call it quits.
Thanks for the forum and all the good advice I have picked up.
H.N.

Back
Top Bottom