Pwc fundamental - how much treatment to use?! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgingYoungRebel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bought my friends 260 litre tank a couple weeks ago. Kept a far smaller tank a few years ago but the fundamentals of keeping the fish escapes me! Had a big ammonia problem but through some good advice on this forum I've managed to get it more under control.

My question which I'm embarrassed to ask is on my tap water safe and biological supplement agent that I intend to add to the water Im using for PWCs, it says to use 10mls per 40ltrs. Does that mean use 10mls per 40ltrs of the prepared water new water per 40ltrs of the capacity of the tank? It's nurafin stuff.

Like I say I'm pretty embarrassed to be asking this but I'm learning! Many many thanks.

It happens ha. Its supposed to be the whole tank. But when I do it I do half the dose and I just add it to the tank. Doesn't hurt the fish and it gets circulated quicker. But adding the full dose will only be safer.

AgingYoungRebel said:
Bought my friends 260 litre tank a couple weeks ago. Kept a far smaller tank a few years ago but the fundamentals of keeping the fish escapes me! Had a big ammonia problem but through some good advice on this forum I've managed to get it more under control.

My question which I'm embarrassed to ask is on my tap water safe and biological supplement agent that I intend to add to the water Im using for PWCs, it says to use 10mls per 40ltrs. Does that mean use 10mls per 40ltrs of the prepared water new water per 40ltrs of the capacity of the tank? It's nurafin stuff.

Like I say I'm pretty embarrassed to be asking this but I'm learning! Many many thanks.

No need to be embarrassed! When you're changing water, normally you would treat the buckets themselves for approximately the amount of water in each bucket. If you have a water changing system like a Python and a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime, you can drain the water you're removing, add the Prime directly to the tank for the TOTAL volume of the tank (not just what you're replacing) and add the raw tap water directly to the tank.

I would also urge you to save your money on the bacterial supplements. They tend to not only be ineffective, but can also produce a much less stable bio-filter in the future. If you are currently cycling with fish...there is nothing you can buy which is more effective than simply using a bucket and a bottle of Prime. This link will give you some great info on the process. Good luck!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

eco23 said:
No need to be embarrassed! When you're changing water, normally you would treat the buckets themselves for approximately the amount of water in each bucket. If you have a water changing system like a Python and a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime, you can drain the water you're removing, add the Prime directly to the tank for the TOTAL volume of the tank (not just what you're replacing) and add the raw tap water directly to the tank.

I would also urge you to save your money on the bacterial supplements. They tend to not only be ineffective, but can also produce a much less stable bio-filter in the future. If you are currently cycling with fish...there is nothing you can buy which is more effective than simply using a bucket and a bottle of Prime. This link will give you some great info on the process. Good luck!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Yea I used the bottled bacteria and had a crash... I will never ever ever use that again. We are here to help...Don't be embarrassed... We ask for help too. I got an Aqueon waterchanger and actually look forward to water changes now. Have a great Memorial Day Weekend

You all have my thanks! I remember back in the day a bottle of water treatment would last ages but this medium sized aquariums sucking in the supplements like no ones business!

Again thank you all very much!

AgingYoungRebel said:
You all have my thanks! I remember back in the day a bottle of water treatment would last ages but this medium sized aquariums sucking in the supplements like no ones business!

Again thank you all very much!

Happy to help :). I really would recommend picking up a bottle of Seachem Prime. It's super concentrated (a single capful treats 55 gallons), and it also temporarily detoxifies any ammonia or nitrItes in the tank for 24-36 hours. Also, remember to stay away from the bottled bacteria!

Back
Top Bottom