PWC=higher nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apocalypse_Gold

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am really fed up with our local water supply :bad-words: Everything yo-yos. PH 6.5-8.5, gh 12-24 etc. The nitrates in our tap water is currently in the 80+ range. I did 2 50/50 RO pwc (one wed, one fri) because I was using some medication to treat internal parasites. Then I had a dead rainbow this morning so I ran all the tests and all were perfect except my nitrates which were up around 40+. So I test my tap water. 80+! Dang that is lame. I am trying to decide what to do from here. 80/20 water mixture or 100% RO and some R/O right. My tap gh is 20+ and kh is 12-14. Any suggestions?

I haven't but I have a sample sitting out waiting. My tank nitrates have never been this high before, even when I was neglecting my pwc. Now I try being more diligent and it climbs.

Definately test all water parameters after the water sits out. The gases will equalibrate and you will have an accurate numbers. Keep in mind that most fish can tolerate nitrate in the 60-80 ppm range.

Praecox rainbows seem to be more sensitive...mine have always been the canaries of the tank. It might be the change that was the most harmful. Plus it is hard to get exact with those tests i.e. healthy isn't very different from deadly. I am going to abandon our tap water altogether. Our water comes from a well that is polluted by agricultural runoff and (probably) copper mining byproducts (heavy metals, arsenic, cyanide etc.) and just about everything is at the legal maximum. Supposedly the copper company will be building a R/O plant soon. Until then it will be my R/O and water from a different source.

Almost forgot, no 'boil' advisory.

Tested tap that had sat overnight and it was below 10ppm so then I tested it right out of the tap and it was down below 10 also, so our water had a huge nitrate swing and I may have just got it at the wrong time. How many of you don't feel safe unless you test the water you are putting in? New water is supposed to be good water.
:uzi: Herriman water :rocket:
Maybe I doomed myself. I changed my sig to this one and then poisoned my fish.

do you have a RO filter or are you buying RO water? if your using the filter try running your pre-filters only, minus the RO stage, and then test that water to see if that helps.. Just a suggestion..

your nitrates are 80 out of the tap???? I would talk to the water district about that, thats way higher than what law allows.

The "tap" water I used went through the prefilter stage. We are going to pitch a fit at the next water board meeting.

Back
Top Bottom