PWC's and adding dechlor to tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's your thoughts on doing your PWC by adding dechlor to your tank then adding water from the tap??? I have been doing the large trash can setup up to this point.. But interested in the "python" method...

Does it matter if your tank is planted? Does it depend on the fish?
Thanks!!

I add the dechlor ot the tank first, then add the water. I add dechlor for the full amount of tank water, not just water that I changed out. My tanks are planted and I have never heard of it affecting fish doing it this way. The dechor is instant.

It would make sense that you could add just enough dechlor for the amount water you are changing out considering that each dose of dechlor treats so many ppm of chlorine-chloramine, but I'm not willing to test out if that will work on my tanks :)

It boggles my mind to think that there is no adverse effect on the fish.. And yeah, would also make sense to only add that much dechlor for the water being changed.. Then again, I'm no chemist..

No adverse effect on the fish or the bio filter.. I've been doing it this way for 4 years now

I've been using Stress Coat+ to condition my tap water.. Any reason I cannot use it with the Python method? Should I be using something else? Getting ready to place an order with Dr F&S...

That should be fine. Generally though products that aid the slime coat are a little unnecessary if the water is clean enough. A product like Prime may be a better buy next time (and possibly cheaper per gallon of water treated).

That should be fine. Generally though products that aid the slime coat are a little unnecessary if the water is clean enough. A product like Prime may be a better buy next time (and possibly cheaper per gallon of water treated).

(y)

I do it the other way. I can't use the python setup in my house because it just won't hook up to any of my sinks...even with their special adapter. So I do the bucket method and add stress coat to the water in the bucket first. I just use a little more than the recommended dose to make sure. Been doing it like this for 7-8 years now.

If I were going to dose the new water before i put it in the tank... I'd use only what was recommended...
But when adding untreated water to the tank, I add a dose appropriate for the whole 55 gallons.

I figure the conditioner is getting spread throughout 55 gallons, and if I only put 10 gallons worth of conditioner in it might be diluted to where it wouldn't de-chlorinate the "new" water fast enough to avoid stressing the fish.

Well, I did it.. The fish loved playing in the new water coming from the python and everybody was stirred up looking around with all the commotion... However, the water had a LOT of air bubbles in it.. Thought it was odd.. Perhaps I'll try a different faucet next time around... Oh yeah, no sad/dead fish in the morning..

If you are filling the tank with the python gravel vac cylinder attached, you my be able to reduce the bubbles by filling the syphon tube with water.

The bubbles wont hurt your fish and they will dissipate quickly though.

All good advice I read so far. I use similar method for pwc in that i dd dechlorinator then new water from the python. Incidentally I found out recently that Chicago does not use chlorine. I still condition my water just in case, but it was a nice perk. I hope to move to California soon, and they use chlorine, so it will be an adjustment.

I also use a bucket method to top off my tanks in the winter due to faster evaporation. When doing this, I condition the bucket water, wait a couple seconds and then add it to the tank.

Regarding bubbles, in my "tiny tank" which has dwarf pea puffers and bumble bee gobies, the puffers enjoy disturbing the bubbles after a water change. Every water change ends with then racing around and attacking the bubbles that rest on the stems of plants. It's pretty funny to watch, the bubble hunt.

Back
Top Bottom