Python cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have one of these?
How do you like it?
And I would be using my bathroom sink (since the aquarium's upstairs)...
Will it hook up to it? I know it has an adapter but the spout for my sink doesn't have the "teeth" or whatever it's called to screw something... my faucet looks like this:
522_cbwf.jpg

Will it still "screw on"??

9%5C9403605014B.jpg

Thanks!

It might work with the adapter. You have to take your own faucet attachment off, then screw the adapter in. However, if your bathroom sink doesn't have the threads for the adapter, you'll have to use another faucet that does. My bathroom faucet doesn't work either. I use the kitchen faucet.

I got my Python for Christmas last year, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was doing buckets before, which seems like fish terrorizing compared to the MUCH quieter flow of the Python. I have a 29-gal and it takes me less than 30 minutes to do a 50% PWC.

I have a tap similar to that and I use my python on it with no trouble. The brass adapter fits into the tap with no problems.

LandGhoti said:
It might work with the adapter. You have to take your own faucet attachment off, then screw the adapter in. However, if your bathroom sink doesn't have the threads for the adapter, you'll have to use another faucet that does. My bathroom faucet doesn't work either. I use the kitchen faucet.

I got my Python for Christmas last year, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was doing buckets before, which seems like fish terrorizing compared to the MUCH quieter flow of the Python. I have a 29-gal and it takes me less than 30 minutes to do a 50% PWC.

I can't use a different sink because I live in a two-story.. and the tank's in my room, so I HAVE to use my bathroom sink.

Chances are the brass piece screws off. You may have to use a pliers to get it off. Feel in the hole, is there a screen there? If so, you can definitely use the Python. If not, feel around for any kind of lip. Then try the pliers. But put a small thin towel between the pliers and brass piece so it doesn't scratch if you are concerned about that. It should work though.

And yeah, the Python is the best aquarium maintenance piece EVER. I have the cheaper version, a Lee's brand. It works just as good.

FF is correct that it may require pliers to get it off, I recommend using a rubber glove between the pliers and the brass part of the trap so as to not damage the tap. The rubber glove prevents any slippage the way towels can slip.

I second Zagz analysis. I had to use a rubber glove and pair of pliers to twist off the cap.

Excellent point Anne. Didn't even think about the slippage.

If there is a screen, you are good to go. You may have to buy a different adapter for the python to fit the faucet but they are pretty cheap, $2 or $3.

Here's another possibility:

I went to Lowes and picked up a new tub spout that has a outlet and diverter for about $7. I also had to get a brass adapter so that the python could attach to the spout outlet. (I would suggest bringing the python attachment to the store and make sure you get the correct adapter.)

I wrapped the old faucet in a towel to protect it from scratches and used a big wrench to remove it. Then, I just screwed the new spout on to the threaded pipe sticking out from the wall.

The python screws on to the tub outlet which works when the faucet is on and the diverter knob is pulled up. In the picture, I am using a garden hose quick release (the yellow thing) that makes connecting and disconnecting a breexe without any chance of ruining the plastic threads.

Advantages:
Tub faucet has much stronger pressure than the sink (at least mine does).
No poopy fish water in the same sink where I brush my teeth!
Tub holds lots more water than sink - no chance of poopy fish water overflowing.
Tub is easier to clean up afterwards.

Attachments

• pythontub_944.jpg
    pythontub_944.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 79
QTOFFER said:
Here's another possibility:

I went to Lowes and picked up a new tub spout that has a outlet and diverter for about $7. I also had to get a brass adapter so that the python could attach to the spout outlet. (I would suggest bringing the python attachment to the store and make sure you get the correct adapter.)

I wrapped the old faucet in a towel to protect it from scratches and used a big wrench to remove it. Then, I just screwed the new spout on to the threaded pipe sticking out from the wall.

The python screws on to the tub outlet which works when the faucet is on and the diverter knob is pulled up. In the picture, I am using a garden hose quick release (the yellow thing) that makes connecting and disconnecting a breexe without any chance of ruining the plastic threads.

Advantages:
Tub faucet has much stronger pressure than the sink (at least mine does).
No poopy fish water in the same sink where I brush my teeth!
Tub holds lots more water than sink - no chance of poopy fish water overflowing.
Tub is easier to clean up afterwards.

I don't quite get what your saying.. sorry. I even read it a few times..

So you got a new tub spout?? And it's easy to change out the old spout with the new spout?
And the new spout has threads in it??

Please clarify :)

Qtoffer bought a new tub spot with a shower diverter attachment. Most tub spouts screw on and can easily screw a new one on. The shower diverter is where the python attaches. It would be cheaper to take a pliers and unscrew the brass attachement on your tap, the threads are inside the brass spout where the water comes out. You simply screw the python in where you remove the brass spout. Qtoffer's tub has more water pressure than the sink, hence the reasoning behind this method.

Yes, I replaced the entire tub spout. It was very easy too - I just had to borrow a wrench big enough to fit around it.

I did this primarily because my sink didn't produce enough pressure to drain my tanks. Also, I found that it's much easier to clean up the tub than the sink area.

In the picture below, I'm holding the old spout and the brass adapter that I had to buy. Note the gray plastic threaded outlet and the diverter knob on the new spout.
Hope this makes the idea clearer!

Attachments

• tubspout_144.jpg
    tubspout_144.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 40
QTOFFER said:
Yes, I replaced the entire tub spout. It was very easy too - I just had to borrow a wrench big enough to fit around it.

I did this primarily because my sink didn't produce enough pressure to drain my tanks. Also, I found that it's much easier to clean up the tub than the sink area.

In the picture below, I'm holding the old spout and the brass adapter that I had to buy. Note the gray plastic threaded outlet and the diverter knob on the new spout.
Hope this makes the idea clearer!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.. yes yes, in the first picture, to ME at least, it just looked like the Python was just placed there, not attached. Thank you so much!!! I'll look into that today because it would make more sense to do that in the tub.

My tub has three knobs, hot, cold, and the middle one that switches from the spout to the shower head.. that's that have anything to do with it, or it doesn't matter?

The middle one is the one you will want to replace with the shower diverter if you are going to do water changes in the tub. It is as mentioned very easy to do. You will want to by a spout that has the diverter pull up knob and the thread extension.

I bought one, thanks guys!!!!!!!
I'm going to, well my boyfriend, is going to put it up for me, hehe..

sweetness8t5 said:
My tub has three knobs, hot, cold, and the middle one that switches from the spout to the shower head.. that's that have anything to do with it, or it doesn't matter?

I have the same setup in my tub too. When you use the python, leave your middle knob shut off - you want all the water to flow to the spout, not to the showerhead. The water will come out of the spout until you pull up the diverter knob - then, it will all come out of the threaded plastic outlet.

QTOFFER said:
sweetness8t5 said:

I have the same setup in my tub too. When you use the python, leave your middle knob shut off - you want all the water to flow to the spout, not to the showerhead. The water will come out of the spout until you pull up the diverter knob - then, it will all come out of the threaded plastic outlet.

Thank you so much for your post... this will make water changes heaven!
And my tub has a lot of pressure so it'd be that much faster!! =-)

Back
Top Bottom