Python Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
First time I use my Python.. Didn't work out too well. I didn't know how to start the suction, and I still kind of need a bit of help lol. And when I went to fill the tank up, I told my little brother to hold the end of the siphon thingand pour the water into the tank. I went to the sink and told him to wait until the tank got close to being full and then tell me. He told me he didn't want to hold the siphon thing so I went to hold it and I told him to wait until I said something to turn off the sink. I don't know what he did, but the water started to get sucked back and then later it started coming back, but the water felt really hot. I told him to turn it off and come to hold the end of the siphon thing and keep it in the tank so the water doesn't spill out. When I got back he was held the siphon thing out of the tank and the water started to spill all over the floor and on to my shoes. No spill huh? No spill when you don't ask your little brother to help. My Blue Rams are very pale in color and my Corydoras aren't very active. All the fish just seem to stay near the bottom. I already had put the stuff that neutralizes chlorine and chloramines before hand. I'm never going to help him with my fish. I hope my fish don't die.... The water turned hot for a while. Probably above 90 The water was very hot. Felt the heat through the siphon tube thing and it was very very warm. Still warmer than the water in the tank... Hope my fish are ok..... I still have to deal with the water all over the floor.

I think the key here is getting him to help you.

You don't need anyone helping you at all, and I try to keep my kids away when I am doing it because if they turn the faucet handles it can do exactly what you had happen. On the bottom of the faucet adapter you have a valve that turns, clockwise and counter-clockwise. Turn counter-clockwise and you will by syphoning, clockwise it diverts the faucet water into your tank, and nobody has to hold it there. Once the tank is full you can use the valve close to the gravel-vac end and and shut the water off, but hurry and turn off the faucet as this is not the world's strongest valve.

What is the temp in the tank? If it is too high do another water change and bring the water temp down very gradually, as mentioned.

Good luck, and I hope nothing disastrous will come to pass.

The temp went to around 95, I already took out some of it and added cooler water. When the water spilled my little brother was holding the hose thing. And you see I have to hold the hose in place because the hose barely reaches the tank x.x. I can get the entire gravel-vac in, but the hose will pull on it and take it out of the tank if i dont hold it there. Fish seem to be doing better. Omg I just looked into the tank and my driftwood was pushed back to the back of the tank. And I guess one of my Blue ram is very scared or something so it hid behind it. It looked like it was stuck there since the piece of driftwood looked as if it was holding the Ram tightly against the glass. I tapped the glass a bit to see if it would move nothing. I thought something was seriously wrong! I took my fish net to move the driftwood and the fish swam away. It was just hiding and not stuck phew lol. Big relief, I don't one of my little blue rams to be dead. The Rams seemed to get some color back. Corydoras swimming around on the gravel. Some good news right there :D . Plants are floating :| . I have to put those Micro Swords back in the gravel again..... Gets frustrating... but at least I have seen that my java moss is growing well :D. I think I can cover more than 70% of the driftwood now. At first it was like only 40%. Hornwort growing well too. Cept I had to throw away a piece since it was all yellow and closed up. Well that's all for now.

Sounds like you need to buy another length of hose. They sell extension pieces that fit onto what you have so you won't have to stretch it.

go to walmart and get a length of RV type drinking water hose to extend the lenght of the python... fish safe and it costs about 3-4$

Rxblade123, there is an excellent article in the February issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine on this subject. The article is called "Freshwater Q & A - Use drain-and-fill devices and say goodbye to buckets." I don't know if you get this magazine, and I don't know what issue is on the newsstands now. It does seem strange that I have the February issue already, but this magazine always comes a few months ahead of time. Anyway, I realize you may not get this magazine, but the article is so good that I thought I'd mention it.

I don't get any of those magazines :| . Thanks for the info, I'll try to get an extension for the hose. Don't want anymore spills XD

One thing that is mentioned in that article is how much tap water is wasted by the use of the Python. What they fail to mention is that as long as the water level of the tank is even slightly below the level of the faucet, the syphon will be maintained even if you turn off the water. What I do is start the syphon and then turn off the faucet, and the tank continues to drain as normal with no wasted water.

What if the hose lies on the floor and then rises up to the tank? Won't that affect the syphon?

Nope. I have a super-long extension on mine so most of it lies on the floor. If my tank is low I start the syphon in the sink and once it starts I disconnect it and move the valve end over and lay it in the tub so it is lower, and the syphon continues. That is a good way to collect the syphoned water, also, as it is nutrient rich for watering your houseplants.

The sink is much higher than my tank. My mom had 2 plants, but she threw one away because the leaves kept turning yellow.

Back
Top Bottom