python question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgeezer1986

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a couple question about the python.

Used the python for the first time today. I usually use a regular siphon and a gravel vac. The pyhon did not seem to have the suction power or the speed of the siphon method. The Python tubing looks bigger than the siphon tubes i use now. It is an actual python , not an off brand. Maybe a water pressure problem or something?

And second. I usually use 5 gallon buckets kept aside just for fish tanks. I use Stress Coat as the water conditioner. I also add the salt and the pH adjuster directly to the bucket and leave it sit for 5 mins before adding to the tank. When using the python in adding water, do i have to treat the whole tank with water conditoners and do i add them before or after adding water. All new to me , and i take extra special precautions as to not shock my fish.

Im not sure how this would work with the python and especially the water conditioner. I dont want to add the water conditioner and end up shocking them if the conditoner does not get all the chlorine or chlorimine from the water.

Kinda stupid , i know , but im picky with my fish

Yes, water pressure.
The syphon power of the Python is primarily your water pressure, not the earth's gravity, a vacuum and atmospheric pressure. Also, if your hose is long and has twist/turns, there is friction to slow the flow.
Now I on the other hand living primarily on a second story floor, toss the end of my Python down the stairs and I've great suction power for vacuuming.
Plus it waters the garden under the stairs with good fishy fertilizer.

I treat the whole tank as I start to fill it, I treat as for the entire tank volume, not just what I'm replacing. The chemical reaction is almost instantaneous, and the chemical(s) disperse rapidly throughout the water column.
You will not hurt your fish, nor BB.

I use 'Prime'.

Pythons rely on water pressure, but they also use or fight gravity, depending on whether your tank is higher or lower than the faucet. I notice a distinct difference in the flowrate when I vacuum the 29g on top of the stand versus the 20L on the bottom level of the stand.

I add my water conditioners to the tank before I start refilling. When I use salt, I dissolve it before adding it to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom