Python Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
How in the hell do you match the temp as you fill your tank?

I just tried and it was damn near impossible. Reminded me of Apollo 13 when they do that manual burn.

*dashes to sink to turn on water*
*dashes back*
OH CRAP TEMP GOING DOWN!
*dashes to sink to turn cold water down*
*dashes back*
OH CRAP TEMP GOING UP!
*dashes to sink to turn cold water up*
*dashes back*
OH CRAP ALMOST FULL
*dashes to sink to turns off water*

Is there an easier way that running back and forth?

Here's the easiest way. Dip your hand into the tank to get the feeling of the temp. Then go to the faucet, turn both the hot and cold on when it's sucking the water out. Then when it's close, close the python and start filling. Then crack it back open til a little water starts spraying out and adjust til you think it's close. I do this and I can get to within a degree, 2 at the most. Does not have to be perfect. Then close it and fill til it's full. Dechlorinate as it's filling. If you do 50%, dechlor for a whole tank.

Exactly as LBW says. Exact temps aren't critical. IMO varying the temp slightly can actually be beneficial to fish. Their natural waters are never a constant temperature.

I think what the OP is referring to is the temp fluctuations while the water is running. I have had this problem from time to time, especially if someone is using the shower while I'm doing the PWC.

I have yet to find a way around this other than using very low pressure while filling.

If the problem is that you're using a thermometer to set the original temperature, but then during the course of the filling you are getting temperature sways, hmm, there's not a whole lot to do.

I guess if you were really worried you could python the water into 5g buckets and once you've filled the bucket, test the temperature with a thermometer again just to be sure. But of course, half the convenience of having a python is not having to mess with buckets anymore, so I suppose that sort of defeats the purpose.

(Though for my brackish tank, I use my python to get the water out, but of course have to use the bucket method to put water in. As long as the tank isn't too huge, it's really no big deal.)

Back
Top Bottom