Python Tube Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've never used a Python before, but the idea sounds enticing. My concerns are if the water comes straight from the faucet into your tank, how do you handle dechlorinating the water and what about the temperature differences?

Yea, I know you can adjust the temp with the knobs :) But I can't physically feel a difference between a couple degrees. Wouldn't adding water that quick via the Python stress the fish?

Nope, my fish don't seem to mind. I also made my own python tube from home depot for under $5 and it's 50' long.

TygGer said:
Yea, I know you can adjust the temp with the knobs :) But I can't physically feel a difference between a couple degrees. Wouldn't adding water that quick via the Python stress the fish?

That's why smaller, more frequent water changes are preferable to large water changes. If your new water is off a few degrees, it will quickly mix with water of the right temperature. If you change less than 50% each time, you and your fish will be OK.

I just got a python too, and I have a similar question. I am really bad at estimating, so how do I know how much dechlorinator to put in, or how much new water I am putting in? I have always used buckets with gallon lines marked so I always knew exactly how many gallons I was putting back in the tank. Is it harmful to put too much dechlorinator in, or is it better to put in too little? I just don't know how to figure out how much to add without measuring the water!

During one time of a water change pull water out one gallon at a time. When you pull out x amount of gallons mark it on the glass and from there you will be set for every water change.

Home Depot has some cheap water temp laser thingies. You just point them at the water in the tank... voila you have accurate tank temp. Point at water comming out of faucet and alter until... voila you have same temp. It was discussed in a prior topic and I really remember this device... my husband would love an excuse to get a laser techo-thingy. :roll:

Bearfan said:
Nope, my fish don't seem to mind. I also made my own python tube from home depot for under $5 and it's 50' long.

And where are the DIY instructions for this? :p

I think one of these python questions should be made into a sticky. I personally have asked this question myself, know of at least 1 person that asked before me, and have seen 3 people ask since then. Hehe. Seems like it would be easiest to just sticky it. 8)

-brent

flipz said:
Seems like it would be easiest to just sticky it.
Imagine if everything was stickied that was asked more than once!! Would there be anything left to give advice on? :wink:

I guestimate how much water has been removed and add enough dechlor for the amount of water added back in. Just pour the dechlor in just before refilling the tank, or add it to the stream going back in. As far as the temp goes, I am very fortunate in that living in Florida, I can just about clean and refill my tank year round connected to the hose outside! However, there are days when it is a little too cool, and I add the water back in from the sink. Sometimes a little cooler water is a good thing. My cories will actually sometimes when this happens. And depending on the types of fish you have, the stream going back in is actually enjoyable for the fish. My oscars act like they are getting a bath! They love to play in it. :D

Bearfan said:

I too was wondering about maybe some DIY instructions, because i've been considering doing this myself for quite some time. The basics are easy, a gravel vac with a long tube, connected to a piece that hooks up to a faucet. And using a switch to have it either drain out of 1 hole into the sink/tub, or fill up from the faucet. The one thing I don't get is how the python uses the water pressure from the sink/tub/etc to create the vacuum to start siphoning? I have never seen a python in use, let alone even touched one other than in the bag at the store, so i have no idea how it works.

do you think you could post DIY instructions bearfan?

-brent

Great, thanks maillis! More money than bearfan said he paid for his, but great article. Thanks for the link.

-brent

I would probably use the same type of tubing that comes on the gravel vacuum to just avoid that problem (and bacteria growing in the water sitting in the hose) all together. Just need to figure out what parts I need to hook that up in place of the hose. :)

-brent

I am preparing to make my own python and my guess would be that you could just buy 2 more adapters for the tubing, 1 male and 1 female. that would fix the problem of using a garden hose. Also, they might be overkill but I would suggest buying screw clamps for every adapter. This is a cheap fix that can stop many potential leaks.

By the way, thanks so much for the link. That was how I had thought I was going to make it but it's always better to have some instructions.

Back
Top Bottom