Python warning!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
FYI, if you replace the plastic tap adapter with the brass one and try to tighten it or loosen it from you tap with your bare, wet hands, it will cut the crap out of you. 8O LOL I learned this the hard way last night when doing my PWC on my 29. My plastic adapter was starting to strip so I bought a brass one, and I was having trouble getting it tight enough on my sink tap. Well, when I went to remove it, I cut the **** out of my hand on the threads. :bad-words: I thought I would warn all of y'all!!!

Damn. Keep that hand out out of the tank. Get better, man. Thanks for the heads up.

crazyred said:
FYI, if you replace the plastic tap adapter with the brass one and try to tighten it or loosen it from you tap with your bare, wet hands, it will cut the crap out of you. 8O LOL I learned this the hard way last night when doing my PWC on my 29. My plastic adapter was starting to strip so I bought a brass one, and I was having trouble getting it tight enough on my sink tap. Well, when I went to remove it, I cut the **** out of my hand on the threads. :bad-words: I thought I would warn all of y'all!!!

You have to add a brass quick connector between your adapter and the plastic pump. That way you just screw on the adaptor and plug in the pump. You will never strip any of the plastic threads using this method. Add another quick connector to the pump to plug in the hose and it's all plug and play.

Quick connectors saved my life.

Also, have a pair of pliers handy.

docrak said:
You have to add a brass quick connector between your adapter and the plastic pump. That way you just screw on the adaptor and plug in the pump. You will never strip any of the plastic threads using this method. Add another quick connector to the pump to plug in the hose and it's all plug and play.

Quick connectors saved my life.

Also, have a pair of pliers handy.

Awesome idea. I learned long ago to be careful unscrewing the brass adapter, but now I'm going out to buy a quick connecter set.

Very good suggestions all....where is this quick adapter kit located? I got the brass adapter at Petsmart.

On a side note.....I don't metal parts to cut myself....I shredded my knuckles on my right hand when I cleaned my Eheim ECCO 223 cannister on my 55 the other night.....I'm STILL not sure how that happened. LOL

Maybe you are saving too much water.....according to your new avatar! LOL!

ROFLMAO...now that is too funny. LOL Nah, drunk or stone sober I'm clumsy. Nearly all the band-aids are gone otu of our first aid kit here at work, and AFAIK, I'm the only one that has used it..... 8O.

The threads on that adapter are sharp though.....y'all be careful.

I got a Python for Christmas and it came with the new brass adaptor. This weekend I read to not use pliers to try and twist the adaptor off your faucet (maybe will bend the threads?), but to use ... a quarter? What?! I haven't actually used the Python yet, but PWC time is coming up soon, but now that I've read this thread I'm thinking why not use gardening gloves or potholders to get the thing off the faucet?

Sorry about your fingers, Crazyred. :( And working with paper makes those injuries even worse. I'm also the only person I know who regularly raids my department's band-aid stash. :roll:

Yeah, keep a towel or pot holder handy if nothing else. Those threads sure do slice into already wet skin. It's sort of like a paper cut right where my thumb meets my palm. Yikes, it hurts....what's weird is, I've used this thing many times and this is the first time it's done that! It just did NOT seem to want to go on or off my kitchen sink's tap. DARN IT!

crazyred said:
Very good suggestions all....where is this quick adapter kit located? I got the brass adapter at Petsmart.

There are a couple of styles of Brass Sink Adaptors. if you have this style:

PYT69HDF.jpg

Throw it out and get this style:

img3038442med.jpg

You can get these parts from your local pet shop but they will cost twice as much as getting them online.

Big Al's

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18670/si1381874/cl0/pythonbrassadaptor

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18670/si1381874/cl0/pythonbrassadaptor

The above connector is actually brass,

I have the second one as well. I use one of those rubber jar openers, that banks and stuff give away, to tighten and untighten it.

I do have the top kind. No wonder my hand is in shreds.....thanks for those links. I'm going to Lowe's to get the bottom one and then I'm getting that quick connect kit! Thanks y'all!!

Back
Top Bottom