Python wasteful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read a lot about how wonderful water changes with a python can be and got some cash for christmas now.

My question is if you'll have to have the faucet water running all the time while siphoning? That would quite be a waste of good water, if I want to change say 30-40gal in my tank!!!

Actually, not alot of water is wasted when using the Python. I forget what the actual amount is, but changing out 30% of a 55 gal tank was something like the flush of a toilet.

Although the python is designed to do both, if you are concerned about wasting water, you can syphon the water out the old fashioned syphoning way. :) Since I have two tanks, I use my old gravel vac to syphon water out and use the python to replace it.

I can't do this now, but when the weather warms up, I can run a siphon hose from my tank in the master bedroom out the sliding door (which is next to the tank), and in the yard on the side of the house. Then I'll use the python to fill it back up. Also there's places here that have irrigation water, which is one monthly cost no matter how much you use. Can use that to empty the tank, then run the python from the outside spicket to the kitchen sink to adjust temp and fill back up. Just a couple ideas.

If I buy a python I would definitely not want to use anymore buckets and have water messes. I"ve just wrote the customer support of that company an email. But I guess it's about 1gal per 7gal water syphoned (so 5gal per 50% water change/35gal). At least that's what I've found on their homepage, it's supposed to be a 7:1 ratio, can that be?

I use a python on my 80 and 46 gallon tanks and leave the water on only while vacuuming the gravel since it provides better suction. Once I have vacuumed the gravel I shut off the water but the tank still drains although not as quickly as before. I figure a few gallons wasted/tank to do my gravel vacs and I do 50%weekly changes on both tanks.

I'm too cheap to pay for a python, I picked up 25' of clear 1/2"ID tubing from home depot, a faucet barb attachment, an o-clamp and clamped the faucet attachment to the hose, then I can attach the hose to gravel vac (easy drain, just syphon) and to fill I attach the hose, find the right temp, then kink the hose and hold the vac up (allows buildup of water without making a mess) and put it in the tank.. only wasted water here is getting the temp right.

I purchased a Python myself, but if you don't quite have the funds, there's one from I believe Lee's that's just as good, and much cheaper. I think I saw it at Petco here and maybe Walmart as well. Not sure what the ratio is for that one. Anyone?

If your faucet or spigot is at a lower level than the tank, you may be able to start the siphon with the Python, turn the water supply off, and allow the force of gravity to keep the siphon going.

Yup, the Lees brand is just as good. That's what we use. But it's easier to say Python because everyone knows what you're talking about. :D It is ALOT cheaper than the actual Python and works just as good.

i got the lee's one also. and also thought i was wasting water, soooo well my toilet is about 10 feet from my tanks , and is also lower then all of them, so for now i use a cut wire coat hanger, and have it bent so that it'll hold the hose firmly to the toilet seat . :idea: works for me!!

I guess I"m just going to try it and buy one today. I didn't see much price difference between the Lee's and the Python though. I'll get a 25' python for $23 at Petsmanrt today, they said they're going to price match their homepage :mrgreen: .

I've just got a reply from the customer service of the python product and they said that for every 5(!) gallon I change water I lose 1 gallon of water out of the faucet.

So if I change 35gal (50%) it would be like flushing the toilet 7 times for nothing! I'm not sure if I want that...

Depends on how much water your toilet uses when flushing. I've heard anywhere between 1 and 10 gal for each flush. As you can see, a big difference, depending on the toilet. So if your toilet flushes lets say 5 gal, then it would be the equivelant of flushing 1 1/2 times. Not bad when considering how easy it makes water changes.

I haven't gotten a water bill since the python and water changes came into the house. Now I am getting nervous! LOL, still wouldn't give it up though.

Yeah, the python doesn't really waste much water. I mean it's not enough to really notice a difference in the water bill. It would be like taking an extra shower a week.

Fishyfanatic said:
Yeah, the python doesn't really waste much water. I mean it's not enough to really notice a difference in the water bill. It would be like taking an extra shower a week.

Whew! :jump:

Fishyfanatic said:

I like that analogy. :)

I am sticking with my earlier suggestion of removing water with the regular gravel vac. As I mentioned earlier, while one tank is filling, I can clean out the other. Really saves time as well.

Back
Top Bottom