Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 126
Python water changer

Hi All, I want to get a python water changer to make life easier and less messy, I live in the UK and they seem to be more than double the price over here so a friend who's coming to the US in a few weeks on holiday is gonna pick me one up while there, looking online it seems to me there are various brands that do the same job, are they all as good as each other or are there certain brands to avoid? Also bit of a long shot but I don't suppose any of you know what thread size you use on your faucet or as we call it a tap lol, it will be a bummer if he gets it for me then it won't fit due to totally different thread.

Cheers. BP
__________________

__________________
Beehpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,650
The two main ones I've heard being mentioned since I've been on this forum is the python and the aqueon. Both have good review. I believe the aqueon is cheaper but the fittings are made of plastic rather than metal.

I also live in the UK and just can't justify 80 for one at the moment. Plus my taps are a bit naff.
__________________

__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 126
It's the price that's stopped me getting one but in the states it's loads cheaper, I can see the aqueon with 50 feet pipe for less than 30 so big big difference.
__________________
Beehpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,650
Yeh that's a joke. Get me one! Lol
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Posts: 2,211
Why not just go to the hardware store and make your own?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
~Matt~
If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
Why not just go to the hardware store and make your own?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
That's what I did. Bought a 50 foot water hose and bought the python t valve off ebay. All in all I have $25 dollars wrapped up in it.
__________________
pelphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 126
I will have to google to see if I can get the valve over here and if so how much.
__________________
Beehpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Posts: 2,211
check for water bed fill valves. the part that goes on the tap is the same. Here's a link to amazon to show you what it looks like.
__________________
~Matt~
If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beehpee View Post
Hi All, I want to get a python water changer to make life easier and less messy, I live in the UK and they seem to be more than double the price over here so a friend who's coming to the US in a few weeks on holiday is gonna pick me one up while there, looking online it seems to me there are various brands that do the same job, are they all as good as each other or are there certain brands to avoid? Also bit of a long shot but I don't suppose any of you know what thread size you use on your faucet or as we call it a tap lol, it will be a bummer if he gets it for me then it won't fit due to totally different thread.

Cheers. BP
Hi BP. I was in the exact same position as you. I live in Ireland and the postage was stupid money. It's the weight of the hose that's the killer. I wanted the python or aqueon. As was mentioned, just buy the valve from ebay or I have a link somewhere for it. Go to homebase and buy this adaptor(link of what you need below), it WILL work with both the aqueon or python. Buy your own hose. Don't go with a garden hose, they kink too easily, even the top brands which I bought(hoselock). Go online and there are a few uk sellers(ebay), selling 3mm thick vinyl hose. . It's is worth getting a decent quality. The size you need is
Inside Diameter= 12.5mm
Outside Diameter= 18.5mm.
The above is the size of a regular garden hose. It will take a bit of twisting but it will fit. Soak the top of the hose in some boiling water and it will go on easier.
The hoselock adaptor is about 5-7. It is actually a better fit that the adaptor python sell, which is much dearer and only available in the US. The US fitting are very slightly different than ours. While your there, pick up a roll of 'plumbers tape'. You may need it, if your tap is not giving a perfect seal. The better the seal, the better the valve will work. If you have really bad water pressure, don't even consider one of these. They simply won't siphon the water.
As I said, this adaptor will work with both valves, so I would say, go with the cheapest of the two. They are both the same imo.
Kitchen Tap Connector: 2159 - Hozelock
Oh and you don't need the aerator inside the above adaptor but hold onto it anyway. It may come in useful elsewhere.....
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 126
I've found and ordered a waterbed fill and drain valve on amazon for 13 with the postage so I've ordered it and see what I can do with it once I get it, fingers crossed but worst case is I've wasted 13, be a shame but not gonna break the bank, let you know how I get on in about a week once it's arrived and I try it out, thanks for the tips everyone.

BP.
__________________
Beehpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 78
Glad to hear!

I've used my water hose for awhile now. I may run hot water through it before hand to get the kinks out of the hose. After that its fine! I have my water hose hooked up to the shower head in our spare bathroom. I cut the water hose 6 feet down bought some hose female and male adapters and place the valve on the lower section of the first 6 foot. With the remaining 44 feet I have much more hose than I need.
__________________
pelphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Posts: 2,211
was that cheaper than the python/aqueon valve when sold separately?
I went to the home/hardware store and bought some clear vinyl tubing and some hose fittings for mine. i wanted it clear so i could see if anything is growing on the inside and when to clean it.
__________________
~Matt~
If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
was that cheaper than the python/aqueon valve when sold separately?
I went to the home/hardware store and bought some clear vinyl tubing and some hose fittings for mine. i wanted it clear so i could see if anything is growing on the inside and when to clean it.
10 bucks for the python valve
8 bucks for 5 foot of hose
couple 4-5 dollars for male/female ends

When I am done with it I open the valve and put my hand over the end of the hose to create a suction. This pulls all of the water out.
__________________
pelphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 126
The cheapest way for me to have bought it would have been to wait for my friend to have gone on holiday to the states and bought the complete aqueon kit while there but I'm impatient and he doesn't go for another 3 weeks then he's there for 3 weeks, then there's a chance he doesn't find a shop to buy it then there's the 3 weeks he's over there so I either spend a little more and get it in next 5 days or wait around 6 weeks, bit of a no brainier eh, when it arrives I can try it out using my garden hose and if it's as good and easy to use as I'm hoping I am gonna go out and get the clear tube cos I also like the idea of being able to see what's going on inside the hose, if it's as good as everyone says its gonna make life so much easier and a bit more peaceful as I'm currently using buckets for emptying and filling and no matter how careful I am it always results in drips of water through the house which is a pain in the ***, so fingers crossed.

BP
__________________
Beehpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beehpee View Post
The cheapest way for me to have bought it would have been to wait for my friend to have gone on holiday to the states and bought the complete aqueon kit while there but I'm impatient and he doesn't go for another 3 weeks then he's there for 3 weeks, then there's a chance he doesn't find a shop to buy it then there's the 3 weeks he's over there so I either spend a little more and get it in next 5 days or wait around 6 weeks, bit of a no brainier eh, when it arrives I can try it out using my garden hose and if it's as good and easy to use as I'm hoping I am gonna go out and get the clear tube cos I also like the idea of being able to see what's going on inside the hose, if it's as good as everyone says its gonna make life so much easier and a bit more peaceful as I'm currently using buckets for emptying and filling and no matter how careful I am it always results in drips of water through the house which is a pain in the ***, so fingers crossed.

BP
He would need a few spare kilos and some spare room in his case for one of those. You are better off going the route your taking....
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Krogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Memphis
Posts: 246
Related question: when filling the tank with the python or homemade version, do you add dechlorinator to what water is in the tank and then fill from the tap?
__________________
Krogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Posts: 2,211
That's what I do. Add for the total volume of the tank. Then fill from tap.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
~Matt~
If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
That's what I do. Add for the total volume of the tank. Then fill from tap.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yeah, you can add it either before or after you add the water but as FishEggs said, you have to dose for the full volume of the tank. Remember too, to knock off your heater and filter during the change. Easily forgotten!!!
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
treemanone2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bridgeport, Ct.
Posts: 2,168
Personally, I choose to add it prior to putting the water in. Most of us all work so hard to get the water perfect, no reason to subject the precious ones to horrible untreated water for any length of time. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
treemanone2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Krogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Memphis
Posts: 246
Got mine In the mail today! Woowoo! It came with the brass adapter also instead of the plastic
__________________

__________________
Krogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question about python water changer HeatherW Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 11 01-15-2012 10:08 PM
Aqueon vs Python water changer Maltimomma Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 37 08-29-2011 10:35 AM
python water changer issue Rinzy General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 07-28-2011 12:27 AM
Discovery about python water changer Aqua315 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 12 06-28-2011 12:52 PM
Python vs Meridian Auto Water Changer jibboo General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 11 12-29-2004 12:45 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.