Python water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beehpee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All, I want to get a python water changer to make life easier and less messy, I live in the UK and they seem to be more than double the price over here so a friend who's coming to the US in a few weeks on holiday is gonna pick me one up while there, looking online it seems to me there are various brands that do the same job, are they all as good as each other or are there certain brands to avoid? Also bit of a long shot but I don't suppose any of you know what thread size you use on your faucet or as we call it a tap lol, it will be a bummer if he gets it for me then it won't fit due to totally different thread.

Cheers. BP

The two main ones I've heard being mentioned since I've been on this forum is the python and the aqueon. Both have good review. I believe the aqueon is cheaper but the fittings are made of plastic rather than metal.

I also live in the UK and just can't justify £80 for one at the moment. Plus my taps are a bit naff.

It's the price that's stopped me getting one but in the states it's loads cheaper, I can see the aqueon with 50 feet pipe for less than £30 so big big difference.

Why not just go to the hardware store and make your own?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I did. Bought a 50 foot water hose and bought the python t valve off ebay. All in all I have $25 dollars wrapped up in it.

I will have to google to see if I can get the valve over here and if so how much.

Hi All, I want to get a python water changer to make life easier and less messy, I live in the UK and they seem to be more than double the price over here so a friend who's coming to the US in a few weeks on holiday is gonna pick me one up while there, looking online it seems to me there are various brands that do the same job, are they all as good as each other or are there certain brands to avoid? Also bit of a long shot but I don't suppose any of you know what thread size you use on your faucet or as we call it a tap lol, it will be a bummer if he gets it for me then it won't fit due to totally different thread.

Cheers. BP
Hi BP. I was in the exact same position as you. I live in Ireland and the postage was stupid money. It's the weight of the hose that's the killer. I wanted the python or aqueon. As was mentioned, just buy the valve from ebay or I have a link somewhere for it. Go to homebase and buy this adaptor(link of what you need below), it WILL work with both the aqueon or python. Buy your own hose. Don't go with a garden hose, they kink too easily, even the top brands which I bought(hoselock). Go online and there are a few uk sellers(ebay), selling 3mm thick vinyl hose. . It's is worth getting a decent quality. The size you need is
Inside Diameter= 12.5mm
Outside Diameter= 18.5mm.
The above is the size of a regular garden hose. It will take a bit of twisting but it will fit. Soak the top of the hose in some boiling water and it will go on easier.
The hoselock adaptor is about £5-£7. It is actually a better fit that the adaptor python sell, which is much dearer and only available in the US. The US fitting are very slightly different than ours. While your there, pick up a roll of 'plumbers tape'. You may need it, if your tap is not giving a perfect seal. The better the seal, the better the valve will work. If you have really bad water pressure, don't even consider one of these. They simply won't siphon the water.
As I said, this adaptor will work with both valves, so I would say, go with the cheapest of the two. They are both the same imo.
Kitchen Tap Connector: 2159 - Hozelock
Oh and you don't need the aerator inside the above adaptor but hold onto it anyway. It may come in useful elsewhere.....

I've found and ordered a waterbed fill and drain valve on amazon for £13 with the postage so I've ordered it and see what I can do with it once I get it, fingers crossed but worst case is I've wasted £13, be a shame but not gonna break the bank, let you know how I get on in about a week once it's arrived and I try it out, thanks for the tips everyone.

BP.

Glad to hear!

I've used my water hose for awhile now. I may run hot water through it before hand to get the kinks out of the hose. After that its fine! I have my water hose hooked up to the shower head in our spare bathroom. I cut the water hose 6 feet down bought some hose female and male adapters and place the valve on the lower section of the first 6 foot. With the remaining 44 feet I have much more hose than I need.

was that cheaper than the python/aqueon valve when sold separately?
I went to the home/hardware store and bought some clear vinyl tubing and some hose fittings for mine. i wanted it clear so i could see if anything is growing on the inside and when to clean it.

was that cheaper than the python/aqueon valve when sold separately?
I went to the home/hardware store and bought some clear vinyl tubing and some hose fittings for mine. i wanted it clear so i could see if anything is growing on the inside and when to clean it.

10 bucks for the python valve
8 bucks for 5 foot of hose
couple 4-5 dollars for male/female ends

When I am done with it I open the valve and put my hand over the end of the hose to create a suction. This pulls all of the water out.

The cheapest way for me to have bought it would have been to wait for my friend to have gone on holiday to the states and bought the complete aqueon kit while there but I'm impatient and he doesn't go for another 3 weeks then he's there for 3 weeks, then there's a chance he doesn't find a shop to buy it then there's the 3 weeks he's over there so I either spend a little more and get it in next 5 days or wait around 6 weeks, bit of a no brainier eh, when it arrives I can try it out using my garden hose and if it's as good and easy to use as I'm hoping I am gonna go out and get the clear tube cos I also like the idea of being able to see what's going on inside the hose, if it's as good as everyone says its gonna make life so much easier and a bit more peaceful as I'm currently using buckets for emptying and filling and no matter how careful I am it always results in drips of water through the house which is a pain in the ***, so fingers crossed.

BP

The cheapest way for me to have bought it would have been to wait for my friend to have gone on holiday to the states and bought the complete aqueon kit while there but I'm impatient and he doesn't go for another 3 weeks then he's there for 3 weeks, then there's a chance he doesn't find a shop to buy it then there's the 3 weeks he's over there so I either spend a little more and get it in next 5 days or wait around 6 weeks, bit of a no brainier eh, when it arrives I can try it out using my garden hose and if it's as good and easy to use as I'm hoping I am gonna go out and get the clear tube cos I also like the idea of being able to see what's going on inside the hose, if it's as good as everyone says its gonna make life so much easier and a bit more peaceful as I'm currently using buckets for emptying and filling and no matter how careful I am it always results in drips of water through the house which is a pain in the ***, so fingers crossed.

BP
He would need a few spare kilos and some spare room in his case for one of those. You are better off going the route your taking....

Related question: when filling the tank with the python or homemade version, do you add dechlorinator to what water is in the tank and then fill from the tap?

That's what I do. Add for the total volume of the tank. Then fill from tap.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yeah, you can add it either before or after you add the water but as FishEggs said, you have to dose for the full volume of the tank. Remember too, to knock off your heater and filter during the change. Easily forgotten!!!

Personally, I choose to add it prior to putting the water in. Most of us all work so hard to get the water perfect, no reason to subject the precious ones to horrible untreated water for any length of time. Just my 2 cents.

Got mine In the mail today! Woowoo! It came with the brass adapter also instead of the plastic

Back
Top Bottom