Python water changer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I was wondering what was so great about the Python since lots of people here use it. I looked up a video on how it worked and it looks really neat but I was wondering exactly how it works. I mean you are essentially dumping chlorinated water back into your tank right? Isn't that bad?

I have a 5, 10, and 20 gallon in my room and the idea of not having to use a bucket (especially for the 20) sounds really great. Does the Python work on smaller tanks?

Sorry if my questions are kinda dumb I really don't know much about the Python.

The python works on all tanks. Usually people add dechlorinator or Seachem Prime to the tank before adding the tap water back in... that way the chlorine is treated right when it enters the tank.

it's the best investment you can ever have for large tanks, work on smaller ones as well. it's worth every penny in my opinion since i have 4 large tanks. can you imaging toting 5gal bucket everytime for water change for about 10times just to get rid of the dirty water and another 10times to fill back in?

Oh okay, that makes sense. I'm just so used to putting dechlorinator in buckets. I usually let it sit a while before adding it to the tank. I didn't realize it would work if added to the tank first. Right now I am using the API Stress Coat Plus but once I finish up this bottle I think I might switch to Prime since that's what everyone seems to be recommending here.

A python is sounding better and better. I may end up getting one.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I'm just so used to putting dechlorinator in buckets. I usually let it sit a while before adding it to the tank. I didn't realize it would work if added to the tank first. Right now I am using the API Stress Coat Plus but once I finish up this bottle I think I might switch to Prime since that's what everyone seems to be recommending here.

A python is sounding better and better. I may end up getting one.

kudos on the decision. or you can make one yourself and save about 1/2 on the cost

They are the best! I'm so glad I got one! On my 55 i can just sit down for a while when the tank is emptying and refilling, instead of lugging buckets back and forth all the time!

it's the best investment you can ever have for large tanks, work on smaller ones as well. it's worth every penny in my opinion since i have 4 large tanks. can you imaging toting 5gal bucket everytime for water change for about 10times just to get rid of the dirty water and another 10times to fill back in?

Lol! I don't even like having to fill my bucket up twice because I have to carry it all the way to the other end of our house to dump it out in our garden. I can't imagine having to tote buckets for a big tank.

kudos on the decision. or you can make one yourself and save about 1/2 on the cost

How do you make one? I've been looking at buying a water changer, but at the moment I can't afford to spend $30 + on anything lol. The last couple weeks before school starts are the tightest lol.

They are the best! I'm so glad I got one! On my 55 i can just sit down for a while when the tank is emptying and refilling, instead of lugging buckets back and forth all the time!

Agreed. They python water changer is the best on the market. It will save you loads of time and you won't have to worry about spills. Well worth the price IMO.

Okay, so I found our that I can get the Aqueon version of the Python 50ft. For 40$. The 50ft Python is like 60$. Is the Aqueon version any good?

How do you make one? I've been looking at buying a water changer, but at the moment I can't afford to spend $30 + on anything lol. The last couple weeks before school starts are the tightest lol.

this is the easiest way for busy people:

i'm assuming you have some sort of a water siphon for now, if so, get this
Aqueon Water Flow Assembly Control Valve - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart

go to a hardware store(in my case, Ace hardware) to get a 30ft vinyl hose.

hook up the hoses in appropriate connectors and you're home free. but last time i got it, it will run you in the neighborhood of $25-$30, which is considerably cheaper than $60-$70 at the minimal from your pet stores, namely this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147172

btw, which size of aquarium did you ended up picking?

another way around it would be getting the t-valves and whatnot, basically reverse engineering the control valve and get the vinyl hose

Okay, so I found our that I can get the Aqueon version of the Python 50ft. For 40$. The 50ft Python is like 60$. Is the Aqueon version any good?

it's comparable to python. as a matter of fact, i have that too, so i would give it a thumb up if you can't find python

this is the easiest way for busy people:

i'm assuming you have some sort of a water siphon for now, if so, get this
Aqueon Water Flow Assembly Control Valve - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart

go to a hardware store(in my case, Ace hardware) to get a 30ft vinyl hose.

hook up the hoses in appropriate connectors and you're home free. but last time i got it, it will run you in the neighborhood of $25-$30, which is considerably cheaper than $60-$70 at the minimal from your pet stores, namely this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147172

btw, which size of aquarium did you ended up picking?

I bought a 29g. I haven't set it up yet since I'm moving next week.

Back
Top Bottom