Python water pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Uhhhh...... this might be a dumb question but I bought a Python last week and I was wondering about the water pressure. The Python will only fit on 1 of my faucets and the water pressure isn't very strong. I noticed when I used it that it didn't seem to suck waste out as quickly or as powerfully as just a regular gravel vac. But with 4 tanks I obviously don't want to go back to a regular gravel vac when the Python makes it SOOOO much easier! :lol: Has this happened to anyone else here and if so is there anything you can do about it?

you can buy adaptors i think big als has some or lowes or home depot

severum, I have pretty decent water pressure on my one sink that I use my python for and my suction isn't as good as a normal gravel vac either...I was considering posting about this myself.

I think my python does a good enough job though.

I hope yours ends up working well!!

I think its just your faucet isnt powerful enough... meaning that water doesnt flow fast enough out of it.... dont know how you would fix that tho? sorry i wasnt much help

best bet would to call a plumber and talk to them. Ask them if there is any way that the water pressure can be adjusted so that it is greater. It is a possibility or at least something to look into.

That's a good idea in theory, but as a renter I don't want to pay for a plumber (that's about the only good thing about renting). I'm sure I'll just use it anyway, it takes longer than the gravel vac/bucket because of the water pressure, but it is so much easier! And Aquacan, yeah my faucet is pretty wuss. :p

I noticed when I used it that it didn't seem to suck waste out as quickly or as powerfully as just a regular gravel vac.
I think that this is inherent in the design of a Python. With a gravel vac that you suck on and put the end into a bucket, you have a powerful siphon. With the python, the water flowing past the adaptor creates an area of lower pressure that makes water flow through the python (bernouli's principle?). I would think that you would need some very high water flow from a faucet to equal a traditional gravel vac's siphon. So yes, fater flow from the faucet will effect performance, but I dont think you can expect it ever to be the same as a gravel vac.

Even so, a python still works really good! Given the convenience and overall effectiveness of the python, why worry about it being a little weaker and slower? The convenience will more than make up for it. If your faucet flow is so poor that the python won't work at all, then I would do like SerLunchbox and call a plumber.

When you are vacing with a python, you are using an assisted siphon. Usually you sink is at or near tank level, so you don't get much help from gravity. I found if when vacing, I run the python outside to a patio drain and hook it to a garden hose. The hose has more pressure than my sinks. Put the python pump at ground level. I have a 50 footer and its performance was greatly inproved. After draining my tanks, I drain the python and hook it to the kitchen faucet for warm water.

well I deff know that the higher the pressure the better it flows.. and I turn my faucet up quite high and I can drain 30g in roughly 5 min and clean the gravel too..

u should just get an adapter and hook it to a better sink

Dave

My other sink isn't any better, and I don't have a faucet outside. I guess I'll just have to live with it. :roll:

My other sink isn't any better, and I don't have a faucet outside. I guess I'll just have to live with it. :roll:

*sorry, my computer messed up and I accidentally posted twice :oops: *

I run the python outside to a patio drain and hook it to a garden hose. The hose has more pressure than my sinks. Put the python pump at ground level.
Bassman thats a great idea. When I leave the water turned up high my vaccume is high, but then the sink can't drain fast enough and it overflows. If i turn the water off I don't get enough suction. I think I'll be running it to the hose from now on. :mrgreen:

My sink has crappy water flow also.
When I do the siphoning I open the hot and cold all the way and it helps a little.

When gravel vac'ing. How often one gravel vacs is probobly the most important. When I use my Python I open the faucet wide open until its primed and free flowing. Once I get syphon I just let gravity work.

It is slow, but remember when gravel vac'ing. You simply want to vacuum waste off the bottum. Not plung the gravel vac completely to the bottum of the tank and suck up 3" worth of substrate. I actually like the preasure of the python vs. traditional grave vacs. I feel like I have more control and don't have to rush so much.

Gravel vac'ing is used for removing fish waste from the bottum ( If a tank is properly set up with 1 or 2 good scavengers and proper feeding, food should'nt sit on the bottum). Churning up every single piece of substrate in the tank is'nt the objective.

I removed my tub faucet spout and replaced it with one that has a threaded hose connector and a divertor valve. No plumber needed - just an adjustable wrench, some teflon pipe tape, and a towel to protect the spouts from scratches. I posted pictures in another thread, but I can't seem to find it.:?

I hook up my python to the tub, which has way more water pressure than either of my sinks. Cleanup is a breeze and splashing is contained within the bathtub.
BTW, I rent too - when I move, I'll just put the old tub faucet back on. :wink:

Hey, that's a really good idea. I might end up doing that in my tub also.
BTW, I didn't want to churn up all the substrate, but my sink sucks!

Back
Top Bottom