Pythons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have added dechlor for the amount that I was adding and have recently started adding dechlor for the full amount of the tank. Have not had adverse reactions with either method. I have seen directions tell both ways.

I've always been a bit confused about python operation.

I understand that it uses the faucet to suck the tank water out but..

#1 does it have a valve on the tank end? I wouldn't want it to suck up a fish while I'm turning on the tap.

#2 when you are refilling, since the water is going directly into the tank, how do you monitor the temp, and do you then just dose dechlorinator for the entire tank volume? That sounds like it could get expensive fast.
i havent ever sucked up any fish even with small 1 inch fish. you could put a netting over it if you are worried.

most people say to treat the whole water column. its what i do. after all these years no problems yet. i use prime which is more concentrated then most conditioners out there.
They usually monitor the temp at the tap. Get the temp set before running the hose to the tank. They just add the dechlor for the amount of water they are adding.
sounds good but treat the whole tank. a couple pennies of dechlor really worth the risk.

Well in my case I cannot use water from the sink connection because I have a water softener. I draw water from before the softener (and water heater). It's from a well so the temp is usually cold. So I have to let it sit to at least warm up to room temp. Doesn't sound like a python would do me much good.
how cold is the water? i just add the water right from the hose for my fish.

sounds good but treat the whole tank. a couple pennies of dechlor really worth the risk.

Just be aware that there may be adverse effects if you do not do proper PWCs. If you are just topping off your tanks, not removing any water, and treating for the full tank it can lead to problems down the road.

I just found a post on here yesterday that actually talked about it. Let me see if I can dig it up....

Here it is:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/overdosing-on-dechlorinator-118244.html

FWIW

how cold is the water? i just add the water right from the hose for my fish.

It's around 65 F. I do put water straight in for small water changes but anything more than 10% will drop the water temp 4 or 5 degrees in my 10 gal fry tanks.

I'm getting ready to build a dedicated fish room in my garage and I think I'll just add a 55 gal drum for water storage in the design. Use gravity feed and fill the tanks with a hose with aged room temp water. I'll have a floor drain to drain tanks to so a python doesn't help for me much for that setup.

Hey since we are on the subject can I purchase like say a 15' and by an extender hose or better yet make an extender hose to use with it?

Yes. That works fine. You can even make your own DIY "Python" if you piece together the right plumbing pieces.

If you ever had a waterbed they used the same pieces. They attached to the faucet to drain and fill. Just instead of the tube to clean the gravel they had the attachment for the mattress and they used a garden hose. You have to be careful with that for aquariums though, since I have heard that the inside of garden hoses can be coated with stuff to stop mold, mildew....etc...

its cheaper to build your own at that also.

It's around 65 F. I do put water straight in for small water changes but anything more than 10% will drop the water temp 4 or 5 degrees in my 10 gal fry tanks.
ill have to test my tap water. i just do 50% from the tap with no ill effects yet. if you are worried your idea about drum is a great idea. someone local has a 225 gallon water container for $100. i have thought about getting that lol

Back
Top Bottom