Q about Lighting: electricity they consume

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raimeiken

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would the electric consumption be the same if i had a compact flourescent light that has for example 136watts, than having 1 40watt fixture and combine that with a 3 fixture 96watts [32watts per bulb] so that would be 136watts in total. would it be the same?

watts are watts are watts, but the electricity consumption will depend on the efficiency of your ballast. are you worried about your electric bill? the yearly operating cost between the two options would very minor. i would be more concerned with how long the bulbs are going to last because that can add up quickly.

again, it's really going to depend on the efficiency of your ballast(s)...but the differences aren't enough to even thinking about.

i have a triple tube and a 96 power compact, i looked at the bill after a month and there was like a $50 increase from my last bill without the lights! it might be another electrical component, but never had that increase b4, i just hope its not the lights.

kagentx how many watts is the triple tube?

96watts for 12 hours a day for a 30 day month would be about 35kw-hrs.

Anything else that you added to your house? I don't know electricity costs in NY but an average cost of $0.10/kw-hr yields that you are using an additional 1.38kw every hour (1380 watts). Of course some areas have a pricing plan that increases your by kilowatt cost once you go above a certain lower limit. Also there will be taxes on the electricity (so the actual energy cost might have increased by $45 not including taxes).

Do you have an electric water heater and home heater? If so and the weather is colder now than the previous month that could be part of the reason.

it can't be the lights. because i have the same lights and the electricty didn't increase. I checked the calculators on this site, and it said it only costs me $3 something per month when i turn them on 12 hours per day.

Back
Top Bottom