QT Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey folks! I have a question.

I just got my new 46.75 gallon tank, yes I know, weird size. I will be setting it up when I move (less than 2 weeks), and getting 3 black moors, and 3-5 more emerald corys (I have 3 already).

So this is my question:

Option #1: When I move, should I put the corys I have now in the 47G, and use the 10G they are in now for the QT, or should I put the new moors and corys in the 47G, and if they're sick, treat them in there?

Option #2: Put the corys I have now in the 47, only get the 3 moors and QT in the 10. Get the other corys later after the moors are out of QT.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Corys & Moors may not work well ....

Although people have mix them together without problems (in a tank heated to mid 70's), others has reported tragedies. Goldfish may try to eat the corys, and because of the spine in the cory's back, the cory will lodge in the goldfish's throat, killing both fish.

If you really must mix the 2, I would suggest using the 47G as the QT for the Moors. The bigger tank is much easier to maintain with 3 goldfish. Even with seeding of the tank, you are likely to get a mini-cycle. <The corys is not a lot of bio-load compared to the goldfish .... so you prob won't have enough biofilter to maintain 3 moors.> The bigger tank will be a lot more forgiving, and you will likely not have to do multiple pwc's daily.

Once you have finished QT with the Moors, you can move your cories over, and use the 10 to QT the next batch of cories. I personally would not put 6-8 fish into an uncycled tank all at once.

Note that this is advice if you insist on mixing the Cories with the Moors. You do take a risk as the Moors get big & start to see the cories as food.

Well, these are emerald corys, which I believe are WAYYY too fat to fit in anything but a big predators mouth. My adult one is about 4 inches long, and about 1.5 inches wide.
The temp of the tank will be 72*F
I will put the 3 moors in the 47G to start with, and watch the water. It will be seeded also. ;) Do you think 3 moors is too many in a 47, or should I just go with 2?
I just read that ideal tank mates are goldfish, plecos, and some scavenger catfish.
EDIT: I am only going to go with 2 moors, and 6 corys, since 2 moors and 8 corys is just about stocked, and I like to keep my tanks understocked.

You can fit 3 moors in that tank ... but nothing else when they are full grown (5-6").

So it is a good idea to cut back to 2 Moors if you are going to have 1/2 dozen 4" cories.

Big cories are prob OK with fancy golds ... although you might be surprised at how big a fish the goldfish can swallow .... 12" commons can certainly get at a 4" cory ... a 6" Moor, prob not .... but look out if you happens to get a "throw back" & you end up with an 8"+ monster! :)

Well!!! Bruce is a beast! If one of the moors did get that big, I would just have to get a pond!!! (Shhh, don't tell my husband ;))

I just encounted a tank with black moors. They'd eaten the top fin off of the cory in the tank. Very sad. It is now in my 30 cube. I wouldn't risk it.

I have been having second thoughts about the moors. The last thing I want is for my fish to attack other fish. :(
Now I just need to figure out what kind of fish I could keep with my corys (and more corys) in the tank.
Any suggestions?

I'm jealous and wish I had this problem right now!

Are you interested in largish and showy fish or a couple of small schools with one show piece?

If you had room in your other tanks for the cories (I love emerald cories too by the way) you could still do a couple of moors and then get something really splashy like Clown Loaches for the bottom. You could add a one or two at a time as the old budget permits. This would also give you a good excuse to go bigger in a few years when they all outgrow the aquarium!

The black with black and orange could be really awesome.

Uggh, yer killin me! LOL
I don't have another tank to move the cories into. :( I only rescued the one cory because I knew she would only be in the 10 temporarily.
Ack! What do I do now?!?!

Have you considered dwarf gourmis? A friend of mine has a pair (the neon blue variety) she keeps in a 10 gallon way overloaded with guppies. I have been mightily impressed with their temperment in those conditions. They don't bother or seem to be bothered by them at all. They munch on the fry, but then, so do the guppy parents.

I've never kept gouramis, but have always intended too, and probably will some day. Like you, I love bettas and these are related. They are certainly good looking fish, but I hear they can be hard to acclimate.

Uggh, yer killin me! LOL
I don't have another tank to move the cories into. :( I only rescued the one cory because I knew she would only be in the 10 temporarily.
Ack! What do I do now?!?!
I would suggest going to your LFS and getting a 60g tank :D
That would solve your problems no?

All kidding aside, I take my hat off to Darby for being willing to build a tank around one lonely schooling fish. I've done the same and its NOT an easy task.

If you want to go into lowlight planting (the easy and less expensive way) I might suggest a small school of very young silver dollars. They are shy, but striking. You'd still have to upgrade to a larger tank eventually with small silvers though. They get big after a few years.

Also, two large schools of tetras, say 8 neons and 8 black neons for contrast would work great. Or a school of 8 blue flame tetras, as they get about 2 inches long when mature. That would leave plenty of room for a male betta or another centerpiece type fish, if it is of good temperment.

I have one DGourami already, had 4. One was a total JERK though LOL. I am pretty sure the hubs would kill me if I got another tank.
I am not a fan of silver dollars or tetras.....I know, I am so picky.
I found a guy in the area over there, and he has a TON of tanks, and is saving 3 more emeralds for me, so I will check out what else he has.

Back
Top Bottom