qt questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any particular way to move fish from qt to the main tank or vice versa. Also I know I'm supposed to qt the new fish for a few weeks but what if I don't see any signs of sickness could I move them over earlier? Or is it better off waiting?

Best to wait. Sometimes there may be a bacteria/virus with an incubation period of a couple weeks.

I would handle moving the fish from qt to main tank in a similar fashion as you used to put them in qt. The pH should be close and if the temps are the same acclimation can be done somewhat faster but other compounds will exist in the main tanks water (some nitrates, etc) so I would recommend a short acclimation period.

I never treat my fish unnecessarily. I QT for two weeks, or longer if I know the LFS has been having problems. After QT, I net them and put the fish in the main tank. Some people float them and what not, but my QT tank water is always from the tank the fish are going to go into.

Back
Top Bottom