QT Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have my QT set up and 'filled' with new comers before they are placed in my main tank. Earlier this week I noticed a fungal infection on 3 of the guys in my main tank. Dosing with maracyn plus and they are doing fine and the infections are diminishing. But it got me wondering about my QT when it is available for situations like this. The purpose of the QT is to A) separate sick fish from the healthy ones, and B) to only medicate those sick fish instead if the main tank.

So in this instance I would move those 3 fish with the fungal patches over to the QT and medicate them there. Simple enough. But what about the main tank? Isn't the infection still in that water column? Won't the others still be exposed to it? Wouldn't I still have to medicate the main tank?

So why the QT? Are there only SOME instances where yes i would have to treat both tanks? Which ones yes? Which ones no? What am I missing?

The main purpose of a QT is to ensure new fish are seperated from your current stock over a sufficient period (Two-four weeks) to decrease the risk of anything nasty being brought in to your established tank.

In terms of utilising a QT as a hospital tank the purpose is both of A) and B). As for the illness being in the tanks water that depends on what affliction the tank has. It is very difficult for sick fish to recover with healthy fish however as they are often targeted/bullied by other fish.

So I still have to treat both tanks. The hospital tank is simply to separate the sick fish so they can heal up quicker/better.

It honestly depends on what you are dealing with. Parasites such as ich or flukes are issues the main tank needs to be treated. There is no purpose in moving a single afflicted fish as the tank is infested. True fungus is actually not that common as its an opportunistic disease that usually only afflicts a fish that has already suffered an injury or has a bacterial infection. The fact that your new fish are recovering with the Maracyn+ indicates they had a bacterial infection rather than a fungal infection as Maracyn+ is antibiotic not an anti-fungal. You honestly need to decide on a case by case basis whether its a situation that needs to be addressed as a tank problem such as ich or a fish problem such a fish that has an open injury. Qt tanks honestly help eliminate most issues that would affect a main tank and require treating the main tank which solves lots of headaches and expense in the long run. It good idea to ask if you are unsure! :)

It will probably be a shorter list if I ask what diseases can show up and only be affecting the fish it shows up on....if any. Is it ever a wise idea to remove the affected fish and only treat it in the hospital, and wait to see if any others start to show symptoms before removing them and/or treating the main tank?

Obviously the QT before introducing new fish is important. That goes without question. It's when an established fish gets sick for whatever reason, it's the cost of medicating a 100g tank, being limited to what meds I can use with live plants, and not wanting to medicate unaffected fish for a disease they don't have that made me ask in the first place.

Super Blueberry I can feel your exact frustration with this issue. Last week I tried moving some sick cories to a QT to just treat them, but ultimately the main tank was already infected and this week I'm treating it. I have 110g of water in my system so it's neither fun nor cheap. I also have plants and the meds have killed several of them. I had to move my snails into the QT because the meds will hurt them. It's a mess.

My only experience tip for you: Columnaris affects the whole tank and a QT of the visibly affected fish is not going to help. So put that on your list of "treat the tank"

I agree case by case. Same problem with bacterial infection where I was treating neons in a QT when a b/n catfish looked off in main tank. Had to treat entire tank which was expensive. Maybe I should of done it earlier as a precaution.

The problem I found with the QT was that I had some bio-media ready but didn't know if it was enough, juggling water changes and medical treatments and the main one that I couldn't keep the temperature down in the smaller QT.

To me, a QT tank is one that is available to isolate new fish for a period to assess their health before adding them to the main tank. That way, these problems should not occur in the main tank. This will only apply to fish carrying such things as whitespot (ich), which is difficult to identify until the white cysts actually appear.

Bacterial problems that often only affect a fish that has been injured can be treated in a QT tank and will help keep costs of medication down.

The problem is, as mentioned already, maintaining ideal conditions in the QT whilst adding chemicals to treat any affliction.

Back
Top Bottom