Qt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquascapist

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are the requirements for a quarantine tank? Do I need a filter? Heater? How long fo you usually keep a fish quarantined? I have never detour delt with one
Thanks for help

I normally hold a fish for two weeks to make sure its going to be fine. What i do is have a sponge in one of my other filters to pull out if i need it for another tank. That will add bacteria to keep it cycled. A heater and some type of filter is needed, i use a sponge filter.

I normally hold a fish for two weeks to make sure its going to be fine. What i do is have a sponge in one of my other filters to pull out if i need it for another tank. That will add bacteria to keep it cycled. A heater and some type of filter is needed, i use a sponge filter.

I do exactly this.

Run a sponge filter in an established tank, if required setup a new tank and quarantine for two weeks. The idea of buying a fish from a LFS and adding it straight to any of my tanks is terrifying to be honest.

What about lights?
Im also putting together a QT tank and have everything except light as I wasnt sure if I really needed one.
I had read that its best to keep new fish in the dark for a bit to keep their stress down, but is 2 weeks too long?
There would be ambient room light when Im home and a very small amount of sunlight when Im not.

What about lights?
Im also putting together a QT tank and have everything except light as I wasnt sure if I really needed one.
I had read that its best to keep new fish in the dark for a bit to keep their stress down, but is 2 weeks too long?
There would be ambient room light when Im home and a very small amount of sunlight when Im not.

I don't have a light on mine and wouldn't classify one as necessary.

That sounds not so bad but still is frustrating. I have had no problems adding fish straight to my tank before so I can't relate but everyone stresses the importance of a qt tank. I have plastic 10g with an extra heater and light but no filter. Hopefully it works.
Thank you so much for the input everyone.

ForumRunner_20130409_002229.jpg

ForumRunner_20130409_002255.jpg

I've never quarantined my fish... And haven't lost any yet lol I've seen all kinds of posts about the importance of doing this but haven't done it lol I just float my fish so the temps are the same and add the tank water as the fish float and then I put em in the new tank with a net. And they are good ! Good luck with your new fish!! Sorry I was no help at all lol

I've never quarantined my fish... And haven't lost any yet lol I've seen all kinds of posts about the importance of doing this but haven't done it lol I just float my fish so the temps are the same and add the tank water as the fish float and then I put em in the new tank with a net. And they are good ! Good luck with your new fish!! Sorry I was no help at all lol

A QT tank is also supposed to be good for isolating a sick or badly injured fish from the rest of the tank. That way you're not giving the rest of the healthy fish medicine for an illness they don't have. That's the primary reason I want to set one up anyways.

Ah ok I get it lol still new to aquarium stuff and all that so bear with me lol

Yup yup! Just words of advice lol if u happen to have a goldfish in a tank with another fish don't post it! People will attack like crazy!!! I say that because well yea lol I've got the replies to the posts to prove that ! You would have thought u had posted about putting acid in the water or something awful!

Yup yup! Just words of advice lol if u happen to have a goldfish in a tank with another fish don't post it! People will attack like crazy!!! I say that because well yea lol I've got the replies to the posts to prove that ! You would have thought u had posted about putting acid in the water or something awful!

Edit"I" not "u" lol stupid iPhone

To be fair most of the posts I read from threads you created were very respectful. Just because a bunch of people give you advice on how to keep your fish happy and how to let them live long lives doesn't mean their attacking but if you're just going to ignore good advice given you probably just shouldn't ask for it. On the other hand if someone attacked you that's not the way it should be, but its not the majority by any means. Ask any questions you have here, there are many, many knowledgable people on this site who are willing to help you make the most out of this "hobby" and help you provide for your fish the best you can.

Read this http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...h-with-camlanus-worms-257036.html#post2430075

It's just too easy to lose an established tank, often which has consumed large amounts of time and money, to an unquarantined fish.

OK, so do you keep the QT tank running? ie: filter, bubbler, etc? If not, do you drain the water out of it, in short, how do you keep the tank from becoming its own hazard to fish?

I have a 10g with a betta in it, who will be moving to a 40g breeder, when I am done I could make it a QT tank. So, do I keep it running less the fish?

OK, so do you keep the QT tank running? ie: filter, bubbler, etc? If not, do you drain the water out of it, in short, how do you keep the tank from becoming its own hazard to fish?

I have a 10g with a betta in it, who will be moving to a 40g breeder, when I am done I could make it a QT tank. So, do I keep it running less the fish?

You can keep it in Storage for when you need it just run the filter on another tank that is established.

I did have most of my whole tank killed off once, and still think it was a "cigar" catfish. I got it and it wasn't the best looking fish, but the owner told me he was getting nipped at by the other gourami in the tank. Within a week all the fishes fins were rotting and had to do meds. Only 3 survived of about 15 in my 65 gallon. That was about 2 years ago, so I just got over it, but have always wanted to quarantine my new fish, but I'm too impatient.

I have a 10 gallon sitting upstairs, and some leftover gravel, fake plants, and a heater. I was thinking about buying a filter and setting it up as a quarantine tank. But I am afraid that I will just buy more fish to put in it! Haha.

Well... I just now got my 10g QT set up with the basics (filter and heater) and now that I look at it I kinda want to keep something in there.

Ive had the filter pad for the QT tank sitting in the HOB filter of my main tank for the past few weeks, so Im thinking/hoping its got some BB built up on it.
I'll be slowly stocking my 45g tank over the next 2-3 months, so the tank will be running non-stop until at least then.

Would it be ok to put some shrimps and/or snails in there to at least create ammonia for my BB inbetween fish? If so, how many? Im quite dumb when it comes to invertebrates.

Id be grateful for suggestions and advice.

Back
Top Bottom