QT Tank - Death Sentence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Just a general question but I've recently become very disenchanted with sick fish.

For the past year or so every time I'd see a sick/unwell fish I'd confirm it acting as such over 24 hours, setup a QT tank, try to diagnose the problem and treat effectively all the while doing daily water changes.

I've had 1 fish out of about 15 ever go into the QT tank and survive.

Now whenever I see a sick cory or neon my mind shudders with the amount of work I will need to do and the likelihood of it even yielding anything.

Anyone else have similar apathy towards QT tanks? Anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? :ermm:

Cheers in advance (y)

Hard to say for sure. The two things that come into my mind first though are either you diagnosed incorrectly (diagnosing fish can be almost impossible sometimes) thereby not treating them correctly and/or the frequent water changes were messing with the medication and not allowing the fish to be treated. I'm sure others will have more ideas though.

Hard to say for sure. The two things that come into my mind first though are either you diagnosed incorrectly (diagnosing fish can be almost impossible sometimes) thereby not treating them correctly and/or the frequent water changes were messing with the medication and not allowing the fish to be treated. I'm sure others will have more ideas though.

I agree, the most common scenario I have is a fish that's struggling to stay upright and the water parametres are fine. Trying to diagnose that on the basis of just one symptom has been practically impossible without making assumption :(.

I often wonder if I'm making things worse by just pulling them out of their comfort zone and into a new tank :nono:

I noticed you said everytime you see a sick fish you "set up" a QT. Are you taking apart your QT each time you heal a fish in it? That could possibly be the problem as well.

I noticed you said everytime you see a sick fish you "set up" a QT. Are you taking apart your QT each time you heal a fish in it? That could possibly be the problem as well.

Yep, I have a little AquaOne UFO 350 I use a QT tank. Whenever necessary the tank is filled with water, treated with Prime and heated to the desired temperature. I use an airstone for oxygen but no filter as I change 50% daily.

Once the fish is dead (Note my confidence :rolleyes:) the water is drained and the tank put up in storage.

Are you suggesting I keep it setup?

I do the same thing you do but I pull out enough tank water from the tank they're in to fill the little QT I have. Then I do my pwc daily with fresh water for them. I know some people have a tank set up at all times for a QT. :)

Back
Top Bottom