qty/gal question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libbyb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When you add something to the water, particularly after a pwc, and you're told to add a certain amount of, say Prime per gallon, is it per new gallon, total gallons of your tank or the amount of water that it holds once the gravel and decorations are in?

The difference in volume wouldn't matter much especially for something like prime. I just dose based on the size of the empty tank.

That's what I've been doing. But then I started thinking (sure sign of trouble) that If I do a 25% pwc versus a 50% pwc but dosing the same, then wouldn't it be over/under dosing?

What are we talking about dosing?

EDIT: Duh, I reread the OP... you said prime :)

Do you need to dose for the entire volume of the tank? No. Should you dose for more than the volume of water you're adding? Yes. You never know if the water company adds extra stuff to the water. Prime is dosed by volume because there is typically X amount of this and Y amount of that in the water. There is a limit on the amount of ammonia, chlorine, ect. one dose can neutralize. I feel better adding a little extra to make sure there is enough, but I think it's a waste to dose for the whole tank.

My understanding with salt is that the water you remove will be a higher salinity than it first started due to heat/lights evaporating a small amount of the water I use the 1 teaspoon per 10 ltrs rule and pre mix the water before adding it to my setup,( for my guppies) but don't over-do it as you may cause more harm than good.

if you are treating the water read the prime bottle. it says if you are not pre treating to treat for the whole tank. 50 gallon tank you treat for 50 gallons of water.

salt really isnt needed but you would do the amount you removed to keep the same amount of salt content. if you did 1 table spoon per 10 gallon or something and you removed 20 gallons put 2 table spoons. just examples though again salt isnt needed. they also many plants have a bad reaction to salt.

as for ferts it depends on what you are doing. if you are doing something like flourish yes after you filled the tank.... if its like EI with dry ferts water change day is your day off from adding.

To follow up on mgamer..

If you are making your water in a seperate container, treat a little more than the ammount (gallons) in the container.

If you are adding water directly to the tank you need to treat the whole size (gallons) of the tank..

To follow up on mgamer..

If you are making your water in a seperate container, treat a little more than the ammount (gallons) in the container.

If you are adding water directly to the tank you need to treat the whole size (gallons) of the tank..

It's a 55 and I use a Python, so I have to add the water directly but why the difference? Not that I'd complain because it's a lot easier that way, just curious.

I know what you're saying.. To neutralize the chlorine, you dose the while tank volume because prime doesn't know how to find just the new water. It has to act on all of the water that is there.. Regardless of the fact it may not have chlorine in it it not.. Remember, it does other stuff too.

I would have to disagree about prime not being able to "find" the new water. It's a chemical reaction that takes place - the prime molecules are in fact looking for ammonia molecules to bond with. If the water conditioner is added while the tank is being refilled, it will get mixed just fine.

Besides, prime doesn't detox water - it detoxes ammonia, nitrite, chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, ect. There is an amount of each of those things that one dosage will handle. Whether the water is old or new is irrelevant. The only issue would be is if the volume of new water contains 7ppm of chlormine and it only detoxes 5ppm, as an example.

How much prime is needed is entirely dependent on the amount of toxins that are in the water.

Maybe I should have said it can't find just the chlorine in the new water since it does other things as well.. :)

I'd still have to disagree.....it's not like it can't do this because it's doing that...... It doesn't detoxify one thing at a time.

Back
Top Bottom