Quarantine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Trying to figure out my quarantine routine. I currently have 5 red eyed tetras an 1 black neon left in my quarantine tank they are being treated for ich. They were in an aquarium I bought on CL.

I have a 10 gallon tank with an Aqua Clear 20 and no decor in it. I read this on a website "How long should I quarantine my Fish?
Most hobbyists will keep their fish in quarantine for 2 to 4 weeks. During that time they often treat for parasites with a Copper Sulfate treatment for 14-21 days, and only treat for bacterial infections if there are obvious symptoms (ragged fins, red spots, etc.). Make sure to do 10-15% water changes every other day to keep the tank healthy."

What do you guys recommend or find helpful before adding to your community tank?

I generally follow a 'less is more' regimen in respect to meds in QT. There is no sense in treating with meds if your fish are not sick. If fish do show symptoms, they should be addressed accordingly with an appropriate means of treatment. Copper sulfate is not the wisest choice either. Its very toxic- inexperience using this product can lead to fish sickness or demise. Its also difficult to remove from a tank once its been used. There are safer alternatives depending on what exactly you are treating. The longer you can keep a fish qt, the less likely the risk of transmitting diseases to your main tank. Personally, I would not move a qt fish for minimum of 3-4 wks. If there is any doubt or uncertainity in respect to the source of the fish, I would wait longer.

Do you quarantine a new fish for that long?

Agree with jlk.

New stock should be QT'd for 4 weeks min for LFS purchased fish. Wild caught fish you may want to QT a bit longer ... maybe 6 - 8weeks. It may take that long for any diseases they have to show.

Medical QT should be for up to a week after the last sign of ailments have past ... however long that takes. This is the time to introduce appropriate meds, treatment. Some illnesses you treat the individual fish, some like Ich you treat the whole tank.

Ich for example should be continue to be treated with 88 F water (maybe also aquariums salt) for a week after the last sign of ich.

The shortest amount of time I have qt'd is 3-4 weeks. The longest is 3mths. It really depends on your fish source- reputable and trustworthy suppliers/breeders (such as members on this site) really help to limit the possibility of disease. Some breeders I know that import fish from China & Japan keep their fish qt'd for 6+mths or longer.

You also have to be realistic & practical for your own situation- not everyone qts or has the means to qt and most hobbiests are not importing or purchasing imported fish. Its pretty much pointless to qt a single fish living by itself in its own tank. I think a reasonable period of time is 3-4 weeks in general for qt but I am sure others will offer their insight as well. :)

Great thanks for the information. I have the water temp at 85/86 but there are no more spots and from what I read the ich can't reproduce at that temp. I am holding them there for 10 days and looking for signs of the spots. After that I may put them in my sons tank for a while instead of in my 28 gallon.

I appreciate your advice!
Jana

Back
Top Bottom