Quarantine procedure questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tahl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my fish in quarantine for 3 weeks now, but around the week and a half mark one of the fish started to have something wrong with it (history here) and the only problems in the quarantine tank are the nitrite from treating it. It has been 16 days since I started treating with a general cure for her problem, now I'm curious if I should start my quarantine time over or add X amount of days to the quarantine time now that she seems better?

Some people Q for months other only a couple of weeks, me i dont even have a QT but for you yes you should start your Q again and add around 15 days onto it. Once the Red tail Shark has been fixed up then wait a week to see is it has cleared up then release them into the other tank.

I'll continue with the quarantine then. On a similar note, should I take my other two fish out of the quarantine tank and move them to my display tank or leave them in for the same duration as well?

I'd say not, as a general rule *all* fish must be observed to be healthy in the QT for at least two weeks.

I'm likely going to be setting up a QT tank myself soon (although lord knows where I'll put the thing!) after buying 4 new rummynosed tetras introduced Ich which killed all 8 rummies and and infected the rest of the fish too - except for the Black Skirt Tetras of course, cos they're hard as nails!

I'll continue to quarantine the fish, I've always seen peoples guidelines for healthy fish but never seen suggestions for what you should do with fish that were sick. Thanks for the help everyone!

I am doing this right now. I bought four guppies and put them in a QT, planning for only seven days. AT day six one died out of the blue so I started over. A second got sick and I treated her for a week, but she got worse and worse and I ended up euthanizing her. Within days another got sick the same way and that fish was euthanized as well. I now have one guppy left who seems very healthy, but who will be in the tank another week or so before I risk the display tank. Always better to err on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom