Quarantine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
>>Background
Acquired a couple of 6-8 mo old gold dust lyretail Molly females yesterday to balance out M:F ratio in my 26 gallon display tank. They are gorgeous! So excited. Right now they're in quarantine which I intend to keep them in for 30 days... in my spare tank, which is a 5 gallon

>>Observations
Fish initially swimming around checking the pad out but now doing a LOT of hiding

>>Concerns
Tank size>> these are the largest fish I've attempted to QT and I'm generally concerned about the amount of space in a 5 gallon even though it's only 30 days. Will they be ok in here for the QT period or must they have more room like an10g quarantine? Could this be why they are hiding out

Tank parameters --> I had a bad experience where i lost some platies I was QT'g not too long ago. Then like now, I had moved my spare aqeon10 filter from my display tank to the qt tank so it would be "insta-cycled". Well I guess not all that much benenficial bacteria was actually in that spare filter because after I saw the platies looking sluggish (back then) I got a 1.0 ammonia reading and they wound up dying a few days later. So even though I know there are some BB in that spare filter I'm still testing daily and planning to do daily 50% pwc's and go really light on the feedings. I think over-feeding may have done me in last time. ... With such a small amount of water it's easy for the toxin levels to spike.

I guess it all relates to tank size. Will they be ok for the short term QT period in there?

But. I'm nervous

Hi! I dont keep these guys but as long as you stay on top of your testing & water changes, you should be ok short term. The tank may be a bit small & as you already know, toxins will spike quickly in a small tank. So, just be religious on the tank care & light on the feeding. Hopefully, someone who keeps these guys will provide a bit more insight! Good luck!

Quarantine Tanks

Hello Ponch...

I've never used a quarantine tank. Most of the illnesses that affect aquarium fish are visible. So, all you need to do is check the eyes, mouth, skin, color, etc. to make sure the fish looks healthy and is active.

I don't typically get fish from the chain pet stores, only from the local "Mom & Pop" stores. Those places keep healthy fish.

If you're concerned about parasites, then use a little standard aquarium salt in your tank water, no table salt. A little more than a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of your water change water will do. Most fish pathogens don't tolerate salt. Your "Livebearers" will thrive in slightly brackish conditions.

Just a couple of things to consider or not.

B

jlk said:
Hi! I dont keep these guys but as long as you stay on top of your testing & water changes, you should be ok short term. The tank may be a bit small & as you already know, toxins will spike quickly in a small tank. So, just be religious on the tank care & light on the feeding. Hopefully, someone who keeps these guys will provide a bit more insight! Good luck!

Hey JLK. Thx for the thoughts. Makes sense but being head first in this project makes it hard to fully accept facts and trust everything will be ok. Thanks for the assurance!

BBradbury said:
Hello Ponch...

I've never used a quarantine tank. Most of the illnesses that affect aquarium fish are visible. So, all you need to do is check the eyes, mouth, skin, color, etc. to make sure the fish looks healthy and is active.

I don't typically get fish from the chain pet stores, only from the local "Mom & Pop" stores. Those places keep healthy fish.

If you're concerned about parasites, then use a little standard aquarium salt in your tank water, no table salt. A little more than a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of your water change water will do. Most fish pathogens don't tolerate salt. Your "Livebearers" will thrive in slightly brackish conditions.

B

Thanks Bradbury comments are much appreciated. I've currently got a school of neon tetras sharing the main tank with my mollies so I don't think the salt is a viable option right now. Although My life would be a lot easier if I just switched to a single species tank!

Ponch said:
Thanks Bradbury comments are much appreciated. I've currently got a school of neon tetras sharing the main tank with my mollies so I don't think the salt is a viable option right now. Although My life would be a lot easier if I just switched to a single species tank!

Update- one of the new mollies died today :(
I'd been doing 50% pwc's daily but I guess it wasn't enough. Got a 0.25 reading on the ammo this AM. Did. 75% PWC right away and then came home tonight and got another 0.25 ammo reading after barely feeding anything this morning! Unreal. I've concluded that such a small tank for quarantining ( 2 )1.5" fish not the brightest idea. I'm seriously considering putting the remaining Molly straight into the display tank. She "looks" and acts healthy. What do you think? I only got her Sat the 5th so she has been in QT for 6 days....

I am so sorry! But, .25 ppm of ammonia should not have killed your fish this quickly unless it spiked higher & you were not aware of it. You have been carefully monitoring your water so I dont believe this is the case. Which, unfortunately, leaves the possibility of disease. With only one fish left, it should be a bit easier to maintain tank quality in the interim until your sure shes healthy. Good luck!

You make a good point. Have been militant with the water changes and if it ever got higher than 0.25 it was not more than a few hours. So assuming disease is the culprit I suppose I should not be putting the other fish in the big tank until she's proven herself healthy. Its kinda hard to tell what's healthy and what's not - shes doing a lot of hiding but is that because the tank is so small or she is sick.... ? Will assume sick and see what happens. 1 fish should be easier. Boy this waiting and wondering is just miserable!

Don't over stress!! You are doing a great job maintaing your qt & making sure its healthy. Unfortunately, fish will get sick & fish will sometimes die with no explanation what so ever. Be confident that your providing the best environment possible. Hopefully, your girl (guy) will sail through qt without glitch. :)

BBradbury said:
Hello Ponch...

B

I disagree. I would strongly recommend a QT tank and just as important: "good QT" practices to reduce the likelihood of spreading diseases to fish in another display tank. I know of two cases where columnaris was introduced into a tank and wreaked havoc of the fish. In both cases, the new fish had no visible signs for about 2 weeks after the purchase. You can setup and run a small 5 or 10 gal QT for very little money and effort. I don't see a good case or strong argument for recommending against the practice.

Is a Quarantine Tank Necessary?

Hello 5...

To each his or her own. If you feel you need to avoid all possible risk, then maintain a separate tank. I've never kept one, but not every one has the luxury of knowing the source of their fish.

It's been my experience that by taking a close look at the fish and paying particular attention to the body, skin, fins, eyes and gill areas you can tell if a fish is healthy or not.

If you're interested in the specifics of looking over a fish. Just let me know. I can pass along some things that I've researched and learned.

B

Update - 2nd Molly just bought the farm.parameters have been pristine which leaves disease as culprit. So do I need to throw away all my filter media in this QT tank to avoid the next fish getting whatever disease it was?

Oh no! I am so sorry! I lost a fish in qt this week as well with absolutely NO explanation what so ever. It can be very frustrating. We dont know what happened to your guys but it was quick & lethal. Bad stock is an obvious possibilty here, too, as well as disease. It will be your call if you want to reuse the media- I would be hesitant though to put the filter back on your main tank or reuse it with new fish but this is just my opinion. Ultimately, use your own judgement in making the decision. Good luck!

jlk said:
Oh no! I am so sorry! I lost a fish in qt this week as well with absolutely NO explanation what so ever. It can be very frustrating. We dont know what happened to your guys but it was quick & lethal. Bad stock is an obvious possibilty here, too, as well as disease. It will be your call if you want to reuse the media- I would be hesitant though to put the filter back on your main tank or reuse it with new fish but this is just my opinion. Ultimately, use your own judgement in making the decision. Good luck!

Talked it over with the LFS guy and I think it could have been Ph shock. In order to keep my params in check I did 50%+ changes everyday. Some days I may have done 60-70% changes ..... After my last bad experience, I kinda freaked at the sight of any ammonia reading a couple times. it's not wise to do more than a 50% PWC at once - right? If so, lesson learned!

Ps-got credit for another 2 mollies which I brought home today so I am going back into QT tonight with them. Wish me luck!

If you properly acclimated your fish, I really doubt it was ph shock. If this was the case, they both would have died very quickly. Unless your tap ph is drastically different than your tank, a water change should not have had any effect unless you forgot dechlorinator. My wcs are bit more than alot of people- 50% is the bare minimum, usually 75%+. Many serious fancy keepers follow 50-100% daily water changes to keep their fish & water in top condition. Just something to think about. Good luck with your new girls! :)

For future reference, I really recommend a 20g with a 15g water line and 50% water changes daily to prevent a cycle along with salt additions (1ppt-3ppt); otherwise, anything smaller will require a 75%-100% water change daily. As far as diseases are concerned, most are well contained within the gills, skin cells, and internal organs far before actual diagnosis can be rendered via the naked eye. Knowing the source really has nothing to do with it (most lfs will cull prior to opening day) because the majority of lfs all share the same sources (distributors and wholesalers) that run flow-through systems (except delicates) offering equal exposure. Even breeders have their bouts with disease eventually.

Reactions: 5x5
Innovator said:
For future reference, I really recommend a 20g with a 15g water line and 50% water changes daily to prevent a cycle along with salt additions (1ppt-3ppt); otherwise, anything smaller will require a 75%-100% water change daily. As far as diseases are concerned, most are well contained within the gills, skin cells, and internal organs far before actual diagnosis can be rendered via the naked eye. Knowing the source really has nothing to do with it (most lfs will cull prior to opening day) because the majority of lfs all share the same sources (distributors and wholesalers) that run flow-through systems (except delicates) offering equal exposure. Even breeders have their bouts with disease eventually.

On the way back home last night from getting the 2 new female mollies I made a quick stop at PetSmart and picked up a 10g tank to use for their quarantine.... Which should be more forgiving than the 5 gallon. I still intend to do daily pwc's with very light feedings to manage the cycle.

So as far as huge water changes go, like 75-100%, I'm tepid on the idea since water comes out of my tap around 7ph and then raises to about 7.8ph as it settles. Isn't that pretty drastic ph swing from tap to final ph?

It's a sizable swing, though I tend to worry more about conductivity. Anyways, why not sterilize a 5g bucket and use it for premixing water for stabilizing? If you have room you can buy a small trashcan that can hold more water, that way you can prepare water changes the night before....just a thought.

That is a pretty large swing in ph. What works for my tanks doesnt necessarily work for everyone because everyone has a different water source. I think using a trash can/5 g bucket to set water out the night before is a good idea! I would stick a bubbler or some source of aeration in it, too. :)

I like the idea of setting it out the night before with a bubbler snd also a heater to keep it temp matched. My wife is going to love yet another large container of water in fish room :) haha

Back
Top Bottom