quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2manyFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gal tank and a couple fish werent lookin good soni setup a 5 gallon quarantine tank. I put one of my tetras in there to try to correct his swim bladder and he died 2 days after. Then I cleaned the tank ran it a day and tried to quarantine another tetra for his fin rot. And he seemed fine but when I woke up this morning he was dead. Not sure wat im doing wrong

What kind of setup do you have for this quarantine tank? Do you use a filter and heater? Is it cycled?

I have a heater and just and air stone. A lot of things I read said a filter wasnt neeeded

Filters aren't necessarily needed in a QT. Something to add water movement should be sufficient although you need to do frequent large water changes to keep the water quality as good as humanly possible.

The ph is the same and temp. But the main tanks water is harder than the qt and nitrate level higher

Hmmm... Maybe the difference in GH is shocking an already weaked fish. I dont know enough about water hardness to say for sure. It could also just be a case of the fish being too far gone by the time you got them into the hospital tank.
This is probably a silly question, but I'd hate to overlook something. Are you treating the water in the QT for chlorine and what-not?

It's a possibility. It would probably be a good idea to do a slower acclimation to the tank in the future

The same way you acclimate them when you bring them home from the store (I'm assuming).

Float them in a container of the original tank water. Every 5 mins remove a little of the water (down the drain) and add a little water from the new tank. Do this for about 30 mins. This will help the fish slowly get used to the new waters chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom