Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stagerlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do you guys alway have a quarantine tank running? Or just when ya get new fish. If not what if you have an emergency and need to transfer a fish. You won't have time to cycle it?
I'm new at all this so let me know if I'm over thinking this... Thanks

Do you guys alway have a quarantine tank running? Or just when ya get new fish. If not what if you have an emergency and need to transfer a fish. You won't have time to cycle it?
I'm new at all this so let me know if I'm over thinking this... Thanks

Its always good to keep a quarantine tank running. Why? It's a really good question.
Not only is a quarantine tank good for acclimating new fish & plants, especially for people who have display tanks that they don't want to hang plastic bags in for a half hour, to an hour, depending on the fish. As well, once you have your main tank up and running, you may notice a fish behaving erratically, or showing signs of disease. Having the quarantine tank ready to go, you can immediately get that erratic or sick fish into quarantine immediately, without having to worry about setting up your hospital tank.

That's kinda what I was thinking and gonna use it for. So should I start a fish less cycle or use existing water from my other tanks? Also how should I keep the beneficial bacteria alive with no fish?

I set up a QT as needed. I take a handful or two of media from a canister and add it to the QT filter. New water or tank water is fine. If the fish is being moved to new water then make sure to acclimate them.
Another way of doing it is to have an extra filter on the main tank and move it to QT when needed.

I keep extra filter media in one of my canister filters that will fit the HOB filter I use in the QT tank. Then it's always ready when needed. If I use the media I replace it with new so it's ready again when needed.

Back
Top Bottom