Quarantine tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

titchrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a proper tank today instead of the bucket for quarantine purposes. It's on and cycling at the minute.
But my question is ...
What happens if you don't need to put fish in it for a while?
Do you need to then recycle? And as obviously fish won't be in it all the time will it mean the bacteria in the filter pad, once cycled first time disappears?

I too am setting up a qt tank. I assume I need fish to keep it cycled as I want to use it to keep snails for my loaches. I hope someone can provide us some help.

you should put the filter on the show tank when you dont need to quarentine. then you just put the tank away and bring it out when you need it.

allaboutfish said:
you should put the filter on the show tank when you dont need to quarentine. then you just put the tank away and bring it out when you need it.

The main tank has some form of problem going on. Have had some deaths and sick fish the since yesterday.
I've taken the filter from finding nemo (goldfish) tank and put that in. He has always been a healthy fish. A few weeks ago we went away for a week. I forgot to leave the filter on. He was fine when we got back. Just needed cleaning.
Only going to use his filter in the qt tank for 3 days max.

Back
Top Bottom