Quarantining Nerites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I'm headed out of town for work tomorrow, and my favorite aquatic shop is really close by. I figured I'd stop in afterwards to grab some more fish food and a mag float, and maybe ask for more tips on how to deal with my annoying algae. :(
I figured, since I've been wanting nerites and I don't trust the local Petco, maybe I'd pick up one or two. I want to see how they work in my tank, if I enjoy them as much as I think I will, and if they can help me a little bit with getting diatoms off my plants. I know that they won't fix the problem, and I don't expect them to, but it might save me some furious paper-towel plant scrubbing, which would be welcome. If they turn out to help, even minorly, I might get a few more. If they're lazy and lay around all day (as some people mentioned theirs do), then I'll stick with just those guys and avoid getting any more.
I trust this store a lot, I've only ever had one sick fish sold to me out of all the ones I have bought, and I'm pretty sure the poor guy was just stressed from the car ride home. But I know quarantining is the best road to ensuring you don't bring in sick fish... does this apply to snails, too?
I haven't been able to get my quarantine tank set up yet. Should I just wait, or is there an alternative method for quarantining them, say in a large tub or bowl? I don't happen to have an extra filter or heater lying around, so this might be a problem...
I am more than willing to wait until my quarantine tank is set up if that is the only course of action.

Back
Top Bottom